Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
انا باتمان
11,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doesn't happen too often, and even a broken watch gives the correct time twice a day, but this one is spot on.

California high court: Retailers can't request cardholders' ZIP code

(CNN) -- California's high court ruled Thursday that retailers don't have the right to ask customers for their ZIP code while completing credit card transactions, saying that doing so violates a cardholders' right to protect his or her personal information.
http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/02/10/califo ... tml?hpt=T2

·
GeePeeDoHolic
6,404 Posts
I was going to ask: a ZIP code is "personal information"? Seriously? :sly: It "identifies" me and quite a few thousands of other people.

But then I read this:

a cashier had asked for her ZIP code during a purchase -- information that was recorded and later used, along with her name, to figure out her home address.
I've got no problem giving my ZIP to help with store location planning, or such like. But gosh, when you're going to data-mine me without just giving me the courtesy of asking if I want to be on whatever marketing list you're putting together. . . not a smart move. :screwy:

The reporting is a little confused though. It starts by saying that retailers don't have the right to ask for a ZIP, then ends by saying "It is not illegal in California for a retailer to see a person's ZIP code or address, the ruling notes"

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Greetings,

In doubt, I fall back to the Constitution. It is a PRIVATE transaction. If you do not like the terms of the PRIVATE transaction, don't buy there. If enough don't like it and do not buy to the seller place, he will change the terms of the PRIVATE transaction.

It is again the government interceding in a private business matter.

Why the heck no one gets it??????????

Thank you

·
Registered
113 Posts
kestak said:
Greetings,

In doubt, I fall back to the Constitution. It is a PRIVATE transaction. If you do not like the terms of the PRIVATE transaction, don't buy there. If enough don't like it and do not buy to the seller place, he will change the terms of the PRIVATE transaction.

It is again the government interceding in a private business matter.

Why the heck no one gets it??????????

Thank you
I get it. Few do, though.

Whatever interaction or transaction occurs between two private parties should be of no concern to the government if it's not infringing the rights of some party that did not voluntarily participate or subject themselves to the terms of that transaction.

·
انا باتمان
11,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You mean like my friends and I want to buy some enriched uranium.

How about the guy who is willing to pay cash for kidneys?

Perhaps you would find it objectionable if someone was selling drugs within fifty feet of the entrance of a middle school?

Maybe there is no problem with a company putting toxic paint on a child's toy?

·
Registered
113 Posts
bdee said:
You mean like my friends and I want to buy some enriched uranium.
Is transferring ownership rights to a container of uranium infringing on someone else's rights? No. Is turning it into a destructive weapon and killing people with it violating someone else's rights? Yes.

You're misplacing the blame for the crime. That's like someone saying that it should be illegal to sell a gun, because the gun could be used to kill someone.

Besides, you can prohibit it all you want. That won't stop it from happening.

bdee said:
How about the guy who is willing to pay cash for kidneys?
Is having a kidney removed and selling it on your own free will infringing on somebody else's rights? No. Is murdering someone so that you can TAKE their kidney and sell it violating someone else's rights? Yes.

The crime is in the murder and theft, not in the sale.

bdee said:
Perhaps you would find it objectionable if someone was selling drugs within fifty feet of the entrance of a middle school?
If that person owns property fifty feet from the entrance of a school and is selling drugs on his property, I would have no issue. Is it infringing someone else's rights by selling a product? No. If that person is on school property and selling drugs, that might be different.

bdee said:
Maybe there is no problem with a company putting toxic paint on a child's toy?
If you purchase a toy for your child from a manufacturer that you do not trust and is not certified safe through a consumer organization that you trust, you put your own child at risk. That's like buying a car "as-is" from someone that you don't know and have no reason to trust without have a mechanic look it over beforehand. You did it at your own risk.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts