Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
cfowers said:
What limitations (if any) to weapons cal are there in GA as far as OC and CC are concerned?
I don't know of any limitations.

·
GPDO Commonlaw Spouse
5,514 Posts
From here: http://www.georgiapacking.org/law.php

There are 2 weapons licenses that are issued in Georgia. A license issued under code 43-38-10 is a special carry license that is issued to armed security guards employed by a security agency. This license gives its bearer the authority to carry everywhere a LEO can carry, but only while on duty AND only if it is in performance of the bearer's duties. This license is NOT valid when the bearer is off duty and the bearer is limited to a revolver caliber of up to .357 magnum and a semi-automatic caliber up to 45 ACP. This license is beyond the scope of this document, but if you wish to get more information, it can be obtained in the Georgia code in title 43 chapter 38.
There are no restrictions on caliber for the GFL/GWL that us common folk are issued. Federal restrictions on destructive devices still apply though. :D

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,152 Posts
Destructive Devices

A "destructive device" is a gun that has a bore over half an inch (.50 caliber) except for most shotguns that the Secretary of the Treasury says are "sporting" enough to get an exception.
I suppose a few antique hunting rifles may also be grandfathered-in despite being over .50 caliber, but generally all modern rifles and pistols have to have a "caliber" under .50 otherwise they are NFA "destructive devices."

A National Firearms Act "destructive device" is something you have to get federal approval to buy BEFORE you take possession of it or make it, and it costs $200 for the special tax stamp, plus other costs like fingerprinting, background check, etc.

·
GPDO Commonlaw Spouse
5,514 Posts
That was a sarcastic remark. The NFA of '34 definition of destructive devices includes things like rockets, grenade launchers, guns with bores greater than 0.5" in diameter (shotguns are excepted) and other 'fun' devices. Wikipedia has a decent little brief on the topic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destructive_device

As gunsmoker points out above, you need to pay the tax on these devices prior to taking possession of them.

·
Senior Mumbler
6,453 Posts
There is no carry restriction, even though a weapon may be a NFA weapon. The only caliber restriction is with the security guard code as pointed out.

·
I watch the watchers
12,883 Posts
HydroAuto said:
"... That was a sarcastic remark. The NFA of '34 definition of destructive devices includes things like rockets, grenade launchers, guns with bores greater than 0.5" in diameter (pretty looking shotguns are excepted) and other 'fun' devices. Wikipedia has a decent little brief on the topic... "
I just had to go and add that since the 'uglier' shotguns are regulated even though they don't do anything that any other shotgun won't do. :p :p

·
GPDO Commonlaw Spouse
5,514 Posts
Fallschirmjäger said:
HydroAuto said:
"... That was a sarcastic remark. The NFA of '34 definition of destructive devices includes things like rockets, grenade launchers, guns with bores greater than 0.5" in diameter (pretty looking shotguns are excepted) and other 'fun' devices. Wikipedia has a decent little brief on the topic... "
I just had to go and add that since the 'uglier' shotguns are regulated even though they don't do anything that any other shotgun won't do. :p :p
Good point, I started thinking about that after I posted... there's a certain street sweeper that meets the criteria, although "pretty" is a subjective term. :D

What was the line of thought behind restricting calibers for security personnel?

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
HydroAuto said:
What was the line of thought behind restricting calibers for security personnel?
The legislature passed a law...

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
This thread makes me want to get a 500 s&w magnum hand cannon as a carry weapon... 8)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts