cal.

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by cfowers, Oct 31, 2010.

1. cfowers

cfowers New Member

What limitations (if any) to weapons cal are there in GA as far as OC and CC are concerned?

2. The Math Teacher

The Math Teacher New Member

I don't know of any limitations.

3. HydroAuto

HydroAuto GPDO Commonlaw Spouse

From here: https://www.georgiapacking.org/law.php

There are no restrictions on caliber for the GFL/GWL that us common folk are issued. Federal restrictions on destructive devices still apply though. :D

4. cfowers

cfowers New Member

"Destructive Devices"? Please elaborate on that.

5. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Destructive Devices

A "destructive device" is a gun that has a bore over half an inch (.50 caliber) except for most shotguns that the Secretary of the Treasury says are "sporting" enough to get an exception.
    I suppose a few antique hunting rifles may also be grandfathered-in despite being over .50 caliber, but generally all modern rifles and pistols have to have a "caliber" under .50 otherwise they are NFA "destructive devices."

A National Firearms Act "destructive device" is something you have to get federal approval to buy BEFORE you take possession of it or make it, and it costs $200 for the special tax stamp, plus other costs like fingerprinting, background check, etc.

6. HydroAuto

That was a sarcastic remark. The NFA of '34 definition of destructive devices includes things like rockets, grenade launchers, guns with bores greater than 0.5" in diameter (shotguns are excepted) and other 'fun' devices. Wikipedia has a decent little brief on the topic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destructive_device

As gunsmoker points out above, you need to pay the tax on these devices prior to taking possession of them.

7. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

There is no carry restriction, even though a weapon may be a NFA weapon. The only caliber restriction is with the security guard code as pointed out.

8. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

I just had to go and add that since the 'uglier' shotguns are regulated even though they don't do anything that any other shotgun won't do. :p :p

9. HydroAuto

Good point, I started thinking about that after I posted... there's a certain street sweeper that meets the criteria, although "pretty" is a subjective term. :D

What was the line of thought behind restricting calibers for security personnel?

10. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

The legislature passed a law...

11. Quest50

Quest50 Active Member

This thread makes me want to get a 500 s&w magnum hand cannon as a carry weapon... 8)