CA Makes it Illegal to Find Out How Old an Actor Is

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Malum Prohibitum, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

2. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

Age discrimination is a must in the film industry.

3. ber950

ber950 Active Member

It will be interesting to see how that plays out in the courts.

4. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

But Muh Gubmint!

The most retarded :censored: thing I've ever heard of in my life.

5. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

Good luck enforcing it, especially if it's a site not bound by California jurisdiction, or even U.S. jurisdiction.

6. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

The whole thing is garbage. Google knows all, from everywhere and you can google stuff even in California. So CA doesn't count.

Nemo

7. codegeek

codegeek codegeek reincarnate

Commiefornia, in its arrogance, believes it can regulate the internet too.

:rotfl:

8. Malum Prohibitum

Don't tell me you have never looked up the age of an actor or actress. We know you all do it! :)

9. bdee

bdee انا باتمان

How are you going to get around imdb or wikipedia?

10. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

I do. I admit it. I am just starting to turn things around and will begin counseling Monday.

Nemo

11. Malum Prohibitum

I think it is aimed at imbd. Unless their servers are in California, I have no idea how California thinks it will enforce this.

12. Malum Prohibitum

It is unclear how the law could be enforced against sites like IMDb, of which the free version of the site would be exempt from the requirement. As Deadline notes, the company could simply cancel the IMDb Pro subscription of those who request their ages be scrubbed from the site, thereby nullifying the requirement to do so.

The law could also face a First Amendment challenge from free speech advocates, many of whom, including Internet Association president and CEO Michael Beckerman, were strongly opposed to the measure.

“Requiring the removal of factually accurate age information across websites suppresses free speech,” Beckerman wrote in an op-ed for the Hollywood Reporter last month. “This is not a question of preventing salacious rumors; rather it is about the right to present basic facts that live in the public domain. Displaying such information isn’t a form of discrimination, and internet companies should not be punished for how people use public data.”

http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollyw...ilm-websites-remove-actors-ages-upon-request/

13. Malum Prohibitum

More typical was the opinion of one of the country’s most prominent First Amendment lawyers, Floyd Abrams of New York’s Cahill Gordon & Reindel, who in a half-century of law practice has frequently appeared in the U.S. Supreme Court, including on such notable matters as the Vietnam-era Pentagon Papers case and, more recently (and less beloved by liberals), Citizens United, a case that unleashed a flood of corporate money in politics on free speech grounds.

“The statute seems to me of the most dubious constitutionality,” Abrams told THR in an exclusive interview. “Birth dates are facts. It's hard to see how the government, consistently with the First Amendment‎, can bar or punish their disclosure.”

. . .

because IMDb and IMDb Pro are effectively the legislation’s only target: although the statute’s language is general, the Amazon-owned sites seem to be the only services that fall within the law’s scope.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/new-california-imdb-age-law-932808

14. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

Marilyn Monroe was born Norma Jeane Mortenson on June 1, 1926.
    There, I said it. CA can kiss my [email protected]&&!

15. phaed

phaed Active Member

folks might be surprised just how many web sites are hosted on amazon's portion of the net. e.g. netflix is one.