C&R Quest

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by [EW], Dec 6, 2010.

1. [EW]

[EW] New Member

If this has been posted to death, I welcome a link to the thread. I was unable to find one in this forum...

Has anyone successfully obtained a C&R FFL?.
    I have ordered the application and read the instructions on the back but am confused about the paperwork requirement.

The application seems to say that I need only complete it, submit it, submit the fee, and submit the CLEO copy.

I also ordered the C&R list, and that booklet says, on one page, to complete the application per the instructions, while on another page it says to include forms 5300.36 (Notification of Intent to Apply for a Federal Firearms License) and 5300.37 (Certification of Compliance with State and Local Law). Those are not available for order on the ATF distribution center page (http://www.atf.gov/forms/dcof/), or on the ATF online publications page (http://www.atf.gov/publications/information-documents/).

Any clarification from someone with experience is appreciated.

If there aren't any takers, I plan to call the agency and will post with an update.

On a side note: The phone number for the Atlanta ATF office provided in the C&R list has been disconnected.

Thanks!

[EW]

2. asbrand

asbrand Active Member

Just got mine. All I did is fill out the form in duplicate, sent one in with my $30 fee, and the other to my CLEO.

You don't need to fool with anything else.

I did have to call and have them check on mine...it took forever. Turns out they had approved it, but for some reason the computer didn't actually print it out to be sent. So, they re-approved it, and it showed up about 4 days later.

Good luck on it...! :righton:

3. broomhandle

broomhandle New Member

Hi Sir,

Get the lic.! It can & will save you lots of cash! You can get discounts for some parts people too!

Asbrand is correct, :righton: They write it in ATF legal terms, that can mean anything to anybody! :screwy:
    If you fill out the form in error, they will let you know!
    It is returned to you (circled in red pen) with the correct answer!

They ask you to verify your a citizen, you prove it by filling out your name in the proper space. :screwy:
    Call the ATF office in West VA. if you want to talk to a real person!

I sent them a letter about old firearm I have . They replied with a short letter- three paragraphs, that I could not understand.
    I asked a lawyer pal, what it meant ... he said it was a JOKE. Each paragraph contridicted the other two!

I attended a SHOT show a few yers ago, managed to get a ATF district manager to write a letter for me in clear English.

Best,
    broomhandle

4. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

I've got a C&R FFL.

Order the forms online at the BATFE website (you have to use the ones they send you, you can't just use a photocopy or something printed off the Internet), do that asap. I think they are green. They are sent free. Once you get them, fill them out in full (no tricks) asap. Mail the one that goes to the BATFE with the check for $30 to the correct address asap. Mail the other one that goes to the CLEO to the sheriff of the county that you live in asap (he doesn't have to do anything, you just have to send it). Wait. Check your bank account to see when the check is cashed out of curiosity. Wait some more. Check the mailbox. Wait some more. If you don't a have a disqualifying record, it will show up in the mail eventually.

That is all.

5. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

When you do eventually get your license be sure NOT to sign the original copy that you are sent. You are to make copies of the original and then you sign the copies when you send them off to wherever you need/want to send them off to.

6. asbrand

asbrand Active Member

Yup. I scan mine in, and anytime I need a "copy" I just print out the scanned in image, then sign it in ink. Then mail that signed copy to whomever I'm wanting to buy from.

7. MrMorden

MrMorden New Member

Mine's just about to expire, and I'll let it. I have never used it yet.

8. LoneOak

LoneOak Proprietor LoneOakTerrace

I've bought two Mosin Nagants and a Mauser using my C&R and had them shipped directly to the Terrace. You have to be home to sign for the boxes as they will not leave them without an adult signature at the address they were shipped too and they will only ship them to the same address as your billing address.

The last one I ordered was tracked for delivery on a Tuesday when I was at work. I went on the UPS website and had it held at the customer service center down the street from where I work and picked it up at WillCall.

Once you send a copy of your license to the dealers, either by fax or email, you don't have to resend it every time you order something as they keep it on file.

9. [EW]

[EW] New Member

Back on track.

Finally got some things sorted and live in a different county now (DeKalb).

Will be dropping the application in the mailbox 9/28 and sending the other copy to the local Sheriff's office.

I'll update when I hear anything back.

10. [EW]

[EW] New Member

Looks like ATF processed my payment (debit card) on 10/1.

Surprised how quickly that part went through.

Will update when I hear anything new.

11. [EW]

[EW] New Member

A second followup call came in this afternoon from DeKalb County Sheriff's office.
    I missed the first call and didn't get the message they left.

They actually called to inform me that the Sheriff's office doesn't sign the FFL applications.
    I let them know it was just a courtesy copy that I was supposed to provide to my CLEO.

No harm, no foul.