C & R is here!!!

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Mastino177, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Mastino177

Mastino177 Member

Sent my application off the first week of June...and came in on the 23rd. This is the only thing goverment wise I've ever seen done with efficientcy. They should do the GFL's!!! Anywho, bring on the C&R bang sticks!!!

2. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Nice! I may apply for my C&R when I get back to Statesboro. No rush, though.

3. Bulldawg182

Bulldawg182 Active Member

What the heck is "C&R"?

4. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Curio & Relic

C&R stands for Curio and Relic, a special federal license / registration status that allows civilians to mail-order working firearms and have them sent directly to their homes, no FFL needed. However, it only applies to weapons that are still pretty old (I think it's a minimum of 50 years old, rather than "antique" guns which have to have been made before 1898), and the feds have to declare that they have historical significance that outweighs their value as weapons. They are not "sporting" tools, and they are allowed to have military features that would otherwise make them non-importable (such as a bayonet for a C&R designated SKS rifle) In other words, a "C&R" gun is a collectible, even though they may be very deadly battlefield weapons.

5. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

My CZ-82 was made in 1990 and is C&R eligible. Another factor that determines eligibility is the ammo the firearm uses. Obscure or less-used ammo, such as 9x18 Makarov means that even (almost) brand-new firearms can be added to the list.

Seriously, a C&R is the best 30$ I've ever spent on something legal.

6. jason1

jason1 New Member

I have a C&R myself but I don't really know how to use it.I sent my FFL to SOG/CIA/J&G Sales now here is my question do I need to have keep a record if I haven't even bought any firearms with my FFL laying around for the ATF that say I have not used my C&R for the lack of funds to buy C&R firearms.How can I get the book for making record of buying and selling of the firearms that I no longer need.I have more questions about NFA firearms,can you have a SOT FFL sale you a WWll Thomason or Sten MG and can it be shipped to your home as a C&R FFL holder and do you need to pay the class 3 taxs for the MG.Because the SOT FFL doesn't need to pay the taxs only the buyer does.If you sell one of your firearm to a non FFL holder do you need to do the paperwork and the background check on the person that is buying the firearm or can you sale the firearm without the background check and paperwork.

7. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Wow, that's a lot.

I just printed a bunch of C&R bound book sheets from

http://www.surplusrifle.com/graphics/boundbookpage.pdf

and 3-hole punched them into a binder I jacked from work.

You only need to log firearms that are C&R eligible that you bought with your C&R. If you had a mauser you got 10 years ago and just got your C&R, you don't have to log it in your bound book.

I really, REALLY don't think you can have an SOT make you a firearm. There are MG's listed in the C&R book, but they list specific ranges of serial numbers, and an SOT firearm surely would not qualify. Maybe you could get an MG from an SOT but it would have to be a legit C&R gun... maybe they just fixed it up or something. I honestly don't know if NFA rules apply.. I assume they do. But, you'll pay around the same for that Thompson using your C&R as you would without. But I guess you could have that 50k$ gun shipped to your door instead of an FFL... ha.

8. jason1

jason1 New Member

9. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

Got my C&R 2 Friday ago and I already bought 3 guns with it. :)
    Today I plan to buy 2 more probably.

BEst buy as of now if a CZ-52 in 99% shape.

Thank you

10. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Not sure but I've read that the BATFE wants you to list all C&R guns, not just the ones that you obtained with the C&R license.

Also, I do believe that you can have a C&R MG shipped to your door (once you dance through the NFA hoops) if you have the C&R license. I think this would save you from one of the sets of $200 taxes when buying a C&R gun from out of state.

11. pro2am

pro2am New Member

Got mine too

Sent my check and paper work on July 16.

The BATFE sends me a license that allows me to have certain guns sent directly to my front door...do not pass go...in 12 days! But it took roughly 76 days to get my GFL?

Wow.

12. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

A three hole binder is about $1.99.

:?

Not that this would be right even if it were more expensive.

13. Malum Prohibitum

Re: Got mine too

Welcome to the world of Georgia firearms law.

14. Malum Prohibitum

There is only one tax. It is a transfer tax. Not two or more taxes.

15. asbrand

asbrand Active Member

My "bound book" is actually an excel spreadsheet. 8)

I keep multiple copies everywhere, so I don't have to worry about "losing" it due to a computer crash.

And, I can print out a hard copy anytime I need.

Just much more efficient to me.

16. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Well...

Here are some examples:

1) You find an individual with a C&R MG you want in Florida but you don't have a C&R license so you have to go through a dealer. The guy has to transfer the gun to a dealer in Georgia. First $200 tax. Then the gun has to be transfered to you. 2nd $200 tax.

2) You find an individual with a C&R MG in Florida and you have a C&R license. Because of this you do not have to go through a dealer. The gun is transfered directly to you. One $200 tax is paid.

This is why people want to find transferables that are in their own state or that happen to be listed on form 3s instead of form 4s. It saves them $200 dollars.

17. Malum Prohibitum

By way of comparison, how long did your GFL take?

18. pro2am

pro2am New Member

I took a minute to actually read the C&R and at the top, in bold caps, it states "THE PRIVILEGES GRANTED BY THIS LICENSE APPLY ONLY TO FIREARMS CLASSIFIED AS CURIOS AND RELICS"

(underline is mine). The BATFE was very careful in spelling out my "privilege"...mind you...it's NOT a right.

19. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

:screwy: