Byrna HD - Pepper Ball Self-Defense

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Heino, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Heino

Heino New Member

Hi Group,

I just recently ordered a Byrna HD pepper ball non-lethal self-defense weapon, and am trying to figure out the laws regarding owning / carrying one here in GA.

It seems there is a mention that any type of air gun not being allowed in parks, historic sites etc. which is managed by DNR - but beyond that nothing else that I can find.

Thoughts?

Details about the Byrna HD:

WHAT IS THE BYRNA HD?
    The Byrna HD is an incredibly powerful and effective non-lethal self-defense weapon that can be taken virtually anywhere. Powered by compressed air (CO2), the Byrna HD shoots .68 caliber round kinetic and chemical irritant projectiles that can disable a threat from up to 60-feet away.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  2. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

My thoughts? Trying to rely on a pepper ball will get you killed.

Nemo

3. Speevl

Speevl Active Member

Eh. I suppose it’s ok but given the size, and it’s relatively limited capacity, why wouldn’t one just carry a real firearm?

I watched a few YouTube videos of people shooting these at others and then they’d show off the paintball welt and make some cliche statement about “if I was an attacker that would stop me....” but I truly do wonder if it would stop a drug fueled crazed lunatic intent on doing you bodily harm. Pistol rounds are not always effective on such scenarios so why would this be the showstopper with 5 paintball-like rounds?

If you want a pepper spray — I guess carry a pepper spray (which might even be easier to hit someone with than the 5 paintballs here) — one of the major advantages to pepper spray is that it is small and can sometimes go in places where firearms cannot. I’m struggling with seeing the advantage of a firearm sized pepper spray that reduces capacity and sacrifices all the size benefits of a traditional pepper spray.

4. Speevl

Speevl Active Member

Heino - first I just noticed you are new the forums. Welcome!

Second of of all - I’m guessing here but I suspect you posted your first post on the Byrna HD because maybe it is your first venture in self defense and maybe you don’t have/haven’t carried a weapon before. That’s ok - but as Nemo noted above, this probably isn’t the right answer. Whether it’s a full size duty pistol or a smaller compact option, I recommend you explore those - but first I recommend you pursue some training. Training will teach you what and how to practice and you will walk away with critical insight into what works and what doesn’t (which is good to know before you invest in a carry firearm).

Also, and more importantly I might add, training can teach you the mindset to survive a violent encounter. The reason I was critical above of the videos I saw of the pepper balls is because the conditions were totally contrived. Scenario based training is humbling, but anyone who has had it will probably tell you that the pepper ball isn’t the direction to go.

Again welcome to forums and feel free to private message me if you want some initial training recommendations (if that is - I’ve diagnosed the purpose of your original post correctly - otherwise you can disregard).

Also - join GeorgiaCarry.org

5. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

You cannot take the lethal option out of self defense. Until we have Star Gate type weapons one would do well to listen to Nemo and Speevl. Welcome to the forum Heino.

6. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Heino, you asked about the laws for owning or carrying a paintball type defensive nonlethal or less lethal weapon in Georgia.

First, the product you describe is going to not fit the definition of a "firearm" or "weapon" for most purposes.
    Most of our gun laws against carrying guns or requiring a permit to carry a weapon will just not apply to the air gun that you describe.

But, it would be considered a weapon for the purposes of the school zone law. See O.C.G.A. code section 16- 11- 127.1. That school-specific law treats airguns ordinary BB and pellet guns (like the kind kids play with), and paintball markers, as if they were real guns.

Your special paintball gun is not like regular paintball guns which are made for sport. YOUR paintball gun is made for self-defense. Therefore, it is a defensive instrument that has state level preemption. No city or county or other unit of government can have any restrictions on this type of weapon or defensive instrument. OCGA is the only thing that matters !

See code section 16- 11- 173.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  7. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

When it comes to using this weapon, I'm not really sure whether it would count as ordinary force or as "deadly force."
    If you shoot somebody with it, or even brandished it in a way that would make a person fear that they were about to get shot with it,

...and circumstances were such that you did not have a legal green light to use actual deadly force with an ordinary gun shooting real bullets ...

would it be considered just "assault" or would it be considered "aggravated assault" -- meaning an assault utilizing a weapon, instrument, or object which is likely to (or actually does) cause serious bodily injury?
    I really don't know.
    The head District Attorney in Atlanta has announced, as of years ago, that tasers are deadly weapons whether they are used by private citizens or law-enforcement officers. TASERS are legally classified the same as a regular gun, so you can't use one in a way that wouldn't be legal to shoot somebody dead with a real gun!
    There's a good chance that other "less lethal" defensive weapons and tools will be similarly viewed, and treated in the eyes of self-defense laws just like regular guns. So if you aren't legally justified and blowing the bad guy away with a load of double-aught buckshot, you probably aren't legal shooting him with a pepper ball out of a paintball marker at a velocity of over 300 ft. per second.

8. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Looks like an expensive toy for those with money to burn. I'd rather spend that much on a real gun. You will most likely be treated as someone armed with a firearm if you ever had to use it, so may as well have a real gun in case things go sideways.

9. Heino

Heino New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome! I appreciate the feedback.

I am not new to gun ownership, or concealed carry. I am simply looking for alternatives to pepper spray, as I believe not every situation warrants lethal force.