Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
I really wonder that if in our current state of political madness and obsession with global warming if the powers that be would let this go anywhere. Matters not that the technology might be the answer to our needs for efficient transportation. It may not fit the liberal agenda.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,386 Posts
Tesla isn't challenged by hcci, it's the loss of government incentives is what they worry about.

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
Tesla isn't challenged by hcci, it's the loss of government incentives is what they worry about.
The incentives will probably run out some time in 2019 just about the time Mazda brings out their HCCI models. These will be cars with existing worldwide refueling infrastructure, fairly modest price tags, tremendous mileage and no gigantic, expensive "replacement batteries."

It's not just Tesla that should be concerned. It's all the electric cars.

http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=232310

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Musk did some serious lobbying with the Climate boys to get Tesla's 1%s car's subsidized by us taxpayers.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I'll take one for my truck. I have no problems being efficient, but I have needs that only a heavy-hauling pickup truck can meet.

·
69,784 Posts
HCCI almost seems like a step 100 years backwards in technology, but Mazda has been floating rumors of 70mpg for its Mazda 3.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
How does it seem backwards? The technology needed to make it work is very much modern and something that the tech of 100 years ago couldn't possibly come close to.

·
Registered
7,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's a step backwards only if you believe the 'electric' car hype.

·
Like a Boss
3,034 Posts
I don't know which the author likes more: hyperbole or italics.

The improvement in fuel economy (if it bears out in the real world) is substantial but hardly revolutionary. The author doesn't seem to understand that batteries and gasoline work differently in terms of energy storage and release. And Mazda certainly doesn't think their new engine will be the end of Tesla or electric cars since they're releasing their own hybrids and electrics the same year.

·
Registered
7,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mazda's new engine has a combo of spark ignition and diesel compression ignition and a 'smart' transition between the two.
I guess we will see about that. I'm not believing little Mazda got ahead of the big auto makers.

They did manage to produce some Wankels which people enjoyed blowing up under warranty.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Mazda's new engine has a combo of spark ignition and diesel compression ignition and a 'smart' transition between the two.
I guess we will see about that. I'm not believing little Mazda got ahead of the big auto makers.

They did manage to produce some Wankels which people enjoyed blowing up under warranty.
Let's not forget, some of the big boys simply buy up smaller, smarter and less bloated little guys that don't have some genius boss dictating bad ideas downstream.

·
69,784 Posts
hcci almost seems like a step 100 years backwards in technology, but mazda has been floating rumors of 70mpg for its mazda 3.
how does it seem backwards? The technology needed to make it work is very much modern and something that the tech of 100 years ago couldn't possibly come close to.
because it was invented before the use of spark plugs.
so was the wheel, what's your point?
Car manufacturers did not stop using the wheel for a century before a Japanese manufacturer decided to attempt using it again, so I do not understand your analogy at all.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,900 Posts
Let's not forget, some of the big boys simply buy up smaller, smarter and less bloated little guys that don't have some genius boss dictating bad ideas downstream.
Yep, bigger is not necessarily better, for your reasons stated.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,900 Posts

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts