Buying & Selling Used Guns In GA

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by riggz, Sep 2, 2007.

1. riggz

riggz New Member

What exactly are the laws on buying/selling used guns in GA? The reason I ask is a good friend of mine can get a sweet deal on H&K guns and I was wondering what paperwork/legal stuff we'd have to do to make it legit.

Thanks!

2. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

IANAL ... that being said, person to person sales do not require any paperwork to be legal as long as neither person holds a FFL.

Personally, I would not sell to anyone who didn't have a GFL as I would want to ensure that the person I was selling to was legally allowed to own firearms. I would also insist on a signed bill of sale. Not required, but both would make me feel better.

3. riggz

riggz New Member

Ok thanks! I hope to have my GFL soon and my buddy is a pilot for a commercial airline. I work for a city government part time, so I think we're about as legal as we can get.

4. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

What kind of deals, if you don't mind me asking?

5. riggz

riggz New Member

He's gunna call them on Tuesday and find out, but he's thinking it is around 50% off msrp.

6. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

7. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

There are many many people who can legally own a firearm who do not have nor do they care to ever have a GFL. Sounds like you wouldn't want to sell a gun very badly.

As long as you have no reason to believe they are prohibited from possesssing a gun, sell it. If it makes you feel better ask if they are a felon, etc. I'd probably get them to show me their DL to make sure they are a GA resident if I didn't know them. If they say that they are not prohibited, that is extra protection for you.

Do not impose extra gun control where non exists, we have enough as it is.

8. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

GAGunOwner, I was expressing my personal opinion. Not what I thought should be law.

So yes, if someone didn't have a GFL or FFL, I personally would not sell to them. The last five weapons I have sold were sold to someone who held a FFL.

Feel free to sell to whomever you wish. I personally don't care. I just like knowing that my weapons are definitely going to someone who is legal.

YMMV.

9. riggz

riggz New Member

yeah, direct from H&K. The only issue I can see is the warranty won't transfer. But I'm sure he could just file a claim should I ever need to.

10. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

sweet baby jesus...

11. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

++ If you can get us that kind of deal, I'm sure no one here would mind a bit of extra markup on your friend's cost...

12. merlock

merlock Active Member

+1!!

13. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Is that even legal? Buying up a bunch of stuff and then reselling for profit without an 01?

14. AV8R

AV8R Banned

If its all legal, I'm in!

If not, I'm out!

That is all.

15. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

I agree. This can NOT be legal. Where exactly are they coming from? Why would H&K sell for cost to someone off the street, without a FFL? I would be surprised if this comes to fruition, and too scared to get in on it. Sometimes things sound too good to be true.

16. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I believe it is legal. If it is legal for an individual to purchase the weapon themselves...I don't think it would be breaking any laws.

17. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

It might be legal but IMO not much different than STRAW purchasing. It sound especially shady if someone has access to weapons at cost turning around and selling them.

Might be on up and up. I just know I wouldn't jump on it right away and without good legal advice first hand.

If it works out, great for all you H&K lovers. LOL.

18. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

But with straw purchases, the third party has to be disqualified from buying in the first place... this isn't like that in that regard.

19. oldguns

oldguns New Member

Rigzz,

Be very careful doing anything that might be construed as dealing without a license, it seems to be a hot issue with ATF. If your friend is buying and selling at a profit on a regular basis he could attract some unwanted attention. A private sale between individuals is no problem.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/index.htm

20. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Oh. I was so sure that the friend was an FFL, since Hk would deal with him, but now you guys are making me doubt that (second) assumption. :? If legal, I'd like to hear more details. Since you're asking, I get the feeling that it's not, or your friend would already know :(

Then again, I don't know what you mean by "used" in the title. Are they police trade-ins or something?