Buy American

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Nemo, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

American made only site trying to become Amazon or Ebay.

Nemo

https://www.foxnews.com/us/sell-and-buy-usa-american-made-products-ecommerce

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for making us aware of this.

Unfortunately, it is doomed to failure. Americans do not care about supporting American manufacturers. All they care about is price. If it can be made cheaper elsewhere, then Americans will buy it from elsewhere.

mountainman444 likes this.

3. Bkite

Bkite PawPaw x 3

Jonathan Freeman likes this.
  4. Jonathan Freeman

Jonathan Freeman Active Member

Bkite likes this.
  5. Bkite

Bkite PawPaw x 3

6. Mstr-Chris

Mstr-Chris Well-Known Member

I agree with this and have made the same argument when people complain about the lack of American made goods and manufacturing jobs here. Given the choice, the consumer will choose cheaper product. WalMart used to have a slogan made in the USA, printed all over their trucks and stores. Cheap stereos from Daiwoo, cheap TV's, PC parts, etc and the consumer decided with their wallets which to buy.

Just west of here, Sewell manufacturing suffered due to NAFTA bringing cheaper clothing, from cheaper material and labor, and closed most manufacturing and merged the remaining and moved to Alabama.

It can be argued that Americans should produce cheaper to compete. That would also mean cheaper labor, reduced labor and more automation, and of course cheaper material. But we also want to earn a fair living, right?

Jonathan Freeman likes this.
  7. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

From link posted 2 above, info everybody here needs to know when shopping for footwear and primarily boots.

You need to click the link and read the info there.

Nemo

https://www.familyfootwearcenter.com/blog/real-american-made-work-boots-elusive-as-a-yeti/

8. dhaller

dhaller Active Member

A couple of "tech entrepreneurs" launch a site to "disrupt the supply chain"? Color me suspicious!

"Made in America" is a pretty forgiving requirement. I mean, I can have all my parts fabricated in China and shipped to the USA for assembly, and it's "Made in America"... so I can save on probably 80-90% of the labor costs but still grab the social cache.

And indeed, here's the language from Sell&Buy's vendor product requirements: "You ensure that the products listed on the website are made in America, regardless of the production country of the materials used, and If such products are misrepresented, they are obliged to refund 100% buyer." (italics mine)

If you REALLY want Made in America, you need to work with specific manufacturers directly, not retailers, and especially not "tech entrepreneurs who want to disrupt the supply chain".

DH

9. onenil

onenil Member

"Buy American"?
    Hmm. Should be pretty easy to shop. I bet I don't even need to use the scroll bar.