"Buy a Friend a GCO Membership" Month

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by RevolverDan, Sep 22, 2010.

1. RevolverDan

RevolverDan Active Member

So I was thinking, what better way to introduce other gun lovers to GCO and grow the membership at the same time? Hopefully they would learn what an awesome organization GCO is over the course of their membership and renew on their own the following year.

Of course it would be voluntary and no one would look down on anyone that didn't or couldn't participate. I know for some that recruitment is a never-ending process, and for others it just happens when the opportunity presents itself. But I figure with a focused effort and if most members are willing to throw down an extra $15 for a friend, that within a month we could push membership over the 10k mark.

Just thought I'd throw the idea out there and see what everyone thought about putting a little organization around an effort like this. I didn't know if this has been tried before or is maybe frowned upon or something, but thought I'd put it out there none the less.

2. The Math Teacher

The Math Teacher New Member

Re:

I've done this a few times on my own.
    Will they pay themselves the next time?
    Some will. Some won't.
    It might be worth a try to stimulate the membership.
    :righton:

3. The Chili Pros

The Chili Pros New Member

Re:

I am kind of thinking of something like this myself.
    I plan on helping at the booth in Rome this weekend, I was thinking, after I learn what the ropes are at this show, maybe I would offer to pay for a few memberships if for example someone could tell me what if anything SB 308 is about? etc, etc. If this one was to hard, I would tone down the question to something much simplier.

I just had this thought today, so I do not have a full plan in place. But I bet I come up with something interesting.
    Heck, I can sell chili I bet I can sell GCO memberships, :righton:

4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Re:

I think it is a great idea.

5. RevolverDan

Re: Re:

I don't even think we could call this selling. Since we are giving it away, it's more like gifting.

Assuming leadership was all on-board, what would it take to get this into a GCO Update email?

6. Madpegtod

Madpegtod New Member

Re:

I also think it is a [s:3qogkzsl]good[/s:3qogkzsl] great idea. I have personally bought 4 first-time memberships for friends. Two have renewed their memberships and one has told me he will renew when the time comes. I have only had one who let his membership expire.

7. The AmBASSaDEER

The AmBASSaDEER New Member

Re:

What goes along with a membership?

8. jlw253

jlw253 Member

Re:

I think this is a fantastic idea.

Over the past few years I've had friends gift me Trees Atlanta subscriptions, cancer research donations, botanical garden memberships, etc.

I have a few friends I've been leaning on to join GCO ... what a great way to get them over the edge.

Will they re-subscribe on their own? Who knows. Will memberships each year become their standing Christmas gift? Maybe.

In any event, this will expose more folks directly to GCO.

9. smn

smn Active Member

I still haven't received a toaster and none was marketed. However, I've been very well represented as a member in GCO sponsored litigation and legislation.

10. Ashe

Ashe Active Member

You usually get a nifty sticker.

11. smn

smn Active Member

You're right, I did!

12. The AmBASSaDEER

I didnt mean free, just wanted to know what Im getting myself into before I join.

13. RevolverDan

I didnt mean free, just wanted to know what Im getting myself into before I join.[/quote:mh343p6a]
    The main point of membership is that your monies will be supporting what I and many consider to be the premiere gun/2A rights organization in Georgia. Check out their website and you will see a treasure trove of wins for the people of Georgia. The shining star being the removal of the infamous 100+ year old "Public Gathering" clause from Georgia Law. If you are not familiar with the former law, it was the primary reason that prevented gun owners from carrying their firearm in MANY places or events in the state. Now Georgian's have a very clear cut law that allows them to carry without fear of inadvertently breaking the law.

That said, their is still much work to be done and the battle continues. Supporting GCO through becoming a member means that we have someone close to home that is looking out for our rights in our state. But you do get a sticker and a magnet for your car to share your membership with others. :righton:

14. The AmBASSaDEER

The main point of membership is that your monies will be supporting what I and many consider to be the premiere gun/2A rights organization in Georgia. Check out their website and you will see a treasure trove of wins for the people of Georgia. The shining star being the removal of the infamous 100+ year old "Public Gathering" clause from Georgia Law. If you are not familiar with the former law, it was the primary reason that prevented gun owners from carrying their firearm in MANY places or events in the state. Now Georgian's have a very clear cut law that allows them to carry without fear of inadvertently breaking the law.

That said, their is still much work to be done and the battle continues. Supporting GCO through becoming a member means that we have someone close to home that is looking out for our rights in our state. But you do get a sticker and a magnet for your car to share your membership with others. :righton:[/quote:3jt33kkt]
    Thanks fer the reply.

I did a 5 yr membership with the NRA, and get mail daily wanting me to send more money. Its to the point where I dont even want to open it...And might not rejoin.

Does GCO do the same thing?

Im all about supporting gun rights, just not all the junk mail.

15. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

GCO doesn't squander membership money with bulk mail. You will get two or three renewal reminder emails, and if you do not renew, the periodic update emails and reminders will stop.

16. RevolverDan

That said, their is still much work to be done and the battle continues. Supporting GCO through becoming a member means that we have someone close to home that is looking out for our rights in our state. But you do get a sticker and a magnet for your car to share your membership with others. :righton:[/quote:3cjl2xlz]
    Thanks fer the reply.

I did a 5 yr membership with the NRA, and get mail daily wanting me to send more money. Its to the point where I dont even want to open it...And might not rejoin.

Does GCO do the same thing?

Im all about supporting gun rights, just not all the junk mail.[/quote:3cjl2xlz]
    Like budder said, you get 4 or 5 emails a month that have useful info in them about what the group is doing. It's their update email, and I don't recall them ever asking for money. And as budder said, when it's time to renew they let you know a couple of time....but they do not hound you. They also do not beat you about the head with shopping emails, life insurance plans, ways to buy cars, or membership upgrade emails like the NRA does to raise money.

17. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

My NRA membership lapsed over 4 years ago, my GCO about 2 years ago.

I'm still getting emails from NRA, at least 3 a week. Haven't heard a thing from GCO in about 18 months.

18. RevolverDan

Re:

I posted this on Facebook and had a lady I went to high school with take me up on my offer. She's single and taking some training classes right now, renting different guns to decide on a purchase for carry, so this was right up her ally. She's all about carrying and was excited to join. +1 for the good guys. :righton: