Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

Interested in Shattering Clays Together?

• 1-- Definitely, as described above.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • 2-- pretty likely, depending on my schedule.

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • 3-- Maybe but this is not a priority. If I have anything else more interesting to do, I'm out.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4-- I'm Only interested if the event will be held in a certain county.

• 5-- I would only be interested if we shoot hand-thrown mostly-empty beer cans

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Who among us here at GeorgiaPacking.org would like to go to an outdoor skeet shooting range and bust some clays?

Either using traditional sporting shotguns (long barrels, with choke) and the standard course of fire...

... or perhaps using shorter barrel home defense type shotguns (but loaded with small birdshot) and ask the to trap operator to throw a special course of fire that doesn't involve the little clay frisbees going too far away from you --have it set up so that you'll only be presented with clays that are within 15 yards, or that start farther away than that but fly towards you so that if you wait long enough you can blast them at 20 or 30 feet.
We can make all shots "singles" or "report pairs" but no "true pairs" for any shooter who is using a pump action shotgun.

It's fun, and I've done this almost every year for the last several years. Sometimes more than a dozen people come, especially when GeorgiaCarry.org would send out a newsletter inviting people. Other years it's just two or three folks, but it's always fun.

Date: TBD, but probably some weekend afternoon in late September through October. Maybe noon to 2 pm?

Location: TBD, but it would have to be within an hour's drive of Atlanta (because that's where most of us live).
I'd be willing to drive an hour one way if that would be more convenient for other people who definitely want to go.

COST: Probably around 10 bucks for you have the opportunity to shoot at 25 clays.

Plus the cost of ammo, if you don't already have your own small birdshot shells.

And if you need to rent a shotgun from a place that has a pro shop, figure about 20 bucks to rent an over/ under shotgun for an hour.

I have a youth model 20 gauge pump shotgun that works well in this role, and a 16 gauge semi auto. I would gladly share these with any people that want to use them on that day, and who can bring the appropriate ammo.

Sky Cloud Plant Air gun Gesture
Arm Sky Air gun Sleeve Cap

Reactions: Jonathan Freeman

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
Tom Lowe or Charlie Elliot are proximate to me but I wouldn’t turn a nose at other options.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We've been doing this most years since 2009, per the date stamp on these old photos that I used to have saved at photobucket.

Jeans Trousers Musical instrument Drum Plant

I'm on the right, red tee shirt.

Reactions: Jonathan Freeman

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
As long I could work it into my schedule my son and I would go. Went to Tom Lowe with Georgiapacking long time ago and it was a good time also will bring a few shotguns in 20 and 12.

·
PawPaw x 3
8,740 Posts
I have boxes of clay targets laying around somewhere I think. I say that because we have moved a couple of times since purchase and I really don't know if they made the various cuts that accompanied those moves. They may very well be in storage in S Georgia. If they are there and if it will help, I would gladly donate if such a thing is desirable and/or logistically possible. This consideration is totally independent of my ability to actually attend the shoot you are apparently trying to organize.
Hope all goes well

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bump, and asking for everybody to chime in.

I know Georgiapacking.org is not as robust of a website as it used to be, but I'm sure we have at least 100 frequent visitors to the site.
Do you think we could get 10 of us -- 10% of the most frequent viewers-- to meet up and shatter some clay birds?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
My dad and I have been talking about shooting clays together for 10 years. I need to learn how to do this and make it happen.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I would be most interested in a traditional bird hunting style CoF.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts