Bush's stance on HR1022 ?

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by Adam5, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Has anyone heard about Bush's stance on HR1022? I know thathe said he would sign a reauthorization of the Clinton ban, but this is a different beast. Would he veto it if it hit his desk? Would the Demoncrats have the votes to override?

I know that it's a long way from there, but I was just wondering.

2. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

When AWB Part 1 was up for renewal, he said he would sign it if Congress sent it to him.

Lucky for us, they didn't.

3. jason1

jason1 New Member

I guess we will need to do a lot of letter writting and calling the White House too stop this :bsflag: bill.You can never count on the bush family for anything accept for help passing bad bills.

4. Montieth

Montieth Active Member

We have to stop it before that point. The President listens the lest amount of any Politician because we don't actually elect him.

5. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

True, you can never fully trust a politician, but I think his statement on the Clinton AWB was more a re-election stunt than a firm statement on the AWB itself.

At the time he said that, he was up for re-election. Also, both sides of Congress were Republican controlled. To me it was him saying, sure I will sign it, when pigs fly.

The situation now is much different. Frankly, the only way I think he would sign this one is if it will get Dems to drop the withdrawal talk about Iraq (or something equally important to Bush). Since guns have been shown to be a 3rd rail for Dems recently and their base really wants the war to end, I think such a trade would be highly unlikely.

6. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Alito