Bureaucracy rules in Bartow County GFL Process

Discussion in 'GWL News & Information' started by DougG_ATL, Mar 9, 2007.

1. DougG_ATL

DougG_ATL Guest

Hello, everyone. I'm new to the GPO forum, but wanted to share my recent experience in Bartow County. The level of bureaucracy and lack of efficient processes makes it an uphill climb for working citizens to apply for their GFL in Bartow.

Not sure what other counties' processes include, but I had to first visit Bartow Probate Court to submit my application and Bartow's relatively cheap $20 fee. Here's the catch. After completing the app with the clerk, I had to drive 2+ miles in the opposite direction to a completely separate facility, the Bartow Sheriff's Office.

Had to wait in line there to be manually fingerprinted on cards, then I had to drive BACK to Bartow Probate Court to drop off the application, prints and money order for the GBI. I asked the Sheriff's officer if they were going to move to electronic printing. He said they already have it for the jail, but not for other purposes. The court clerk told me that the process currently takes up to 12 weeks for clearance and that I have to call to check on the status of my GFL.

Lots of bureaucracy in place to make it tough to exercise our rights in Bartow. Everyone involved was friendly and helpful, but it shouldn't be this tough. How does this compare to your counties?

2. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Sounds about on par for most counties.

Took me 5.5 months to get my GFL from the time of application.

Here are a few things you can do after the 60 day period is up:

Get the ORI number for the sheriff's office and call the GBI/FBI and find out the status of your prints.

Call/ write a letter to your representative and ask them why the laws they wrote are not being followed.

Document everything. Every conversation. Who, what, when, where, status.

3. Taler

Taler New Member

Great Tips, Ramm. Doug might also consider joining GCO.

4. DougG_ATL

DougG_ATL Guest

I'm already planning on joining GCO by the end of the month. It looks like too valuable a resource not to join up.

5. CrankE

CrankE Guest

Interesting Doug G. I live here in Bartow and my GFL comes due this December. I plan to roll the ball this summer. In Toombs County, where I got mine originally, the Sheriff's office and Probate Court were at least within walking distance of each other.

6. CrankE

CrankE Guest

What is ORI?

7. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Sorry I haven't responded sooner CrankE, I've been away.

Source

You can get this number from the the place you were fingerprinted.

8. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

9. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Hey GS1, where is that linked from?

I looked on the links page and nada. Did a Google site search and came up with nothing.

10. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

ALL,

I found out last Friday that Chatham co does not use the Sheriff ORI, the court has them print on cards and uses the court ORI.

11. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

SheriffOconee scanned it and sent it to me. I have no idea what he scanned it from.
    https://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/vie ... php?t=1510

12. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

They are just weird, didn't you say that they are also requiring hard cards even though digital is availible?

13. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I meant where on this site can I find that other than bookmarking that url?

14. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Oh, I haven't linked to it anywhere outside of the forum.

15. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

ok. I was just checking because it was bugging me that I couldn't find it.

16. CrankE

CrankE Guest

Thanks Rammstein. I downloaded a copy of the form. I'll let you guys know how renewal in Bartow goes when I go to re-up.

17. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

Speaking of which, where is the good Sheriff? Haven't seen him post for a few months now. Hope he didn't catch hell for being too proactive.

18. glockgirl

glockgirl Guest

we just had a thread about that. I miss him but someone said he may be busy opening the new jail

19. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

This is to bypass the rather obvious requirements of the statute. You see, O.C.G.A. 16-11-129 says nothing about the probate court ever seeing your background check. Did you know that?

Read it for yourself.

Everything you need to know is in subsection (d). You will note that (d)(1)and (d)(2) require the probate judge to direct the law enforcement agency to fingerprint and submit everything for background checks. They also provide that the probate judge is to direct the law enforcement agency to return "an appropriate report" to the judge.

An appropriate report is not the same thing as the background check itself.

In addition, (d)(4) provides that no report is required unless the law enforcement agency finds derogatory information.

Go back an read that one again.

If nothing derogatory is found, what does the law enforcement agency return to the judge? Just the blank license and the application form. Still from (d)(4):

"Not later than 60 days after the date of the application the judge of the probate court shall issue the applicant a license or renewal license to carry any pistol or revolver if no facts establishing ineligibility have been reported and if the judge determines the applicant has met all the qualifications, is of good moral character, and has complied with all the requirements contained in this Code section."

If no facts establishing eligibility have been reported . . . the law repeats it to make sure . . .

The "met all the qualifications" language is where the probate courts hang their hat in demanding to see the original background check history from GCIC and NCIC and wait beyond 60 days (even though we now know that background checks are not responsible for probate courts exceeding 60 days, but I digress). The probate court knows that the applicant has met all the qualifications, or not met them, on day 50, when the report must be submitted. Of course, if no report comes, that is because there is nothing derogatory to report - same result: the applicant has met all the qualifications.

Note there is nothing in the statute that requires the local law enforcement agency to return anything to the probate judge except the application and the blank license form. Note that there is nothing in the statute that allows or authorizes the probate court to run its own background checks.

For a more complete argument, please read the reply brief here.

20. DougG_ATL

DougG_ATL Guest

Just found out that Bartow is saying my license will be available the week of June 11. That comes out to just shy of 70 business days, which isn't too horrible. Still a long wait.