Bundy brothers not guilty of conspiracy

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Billennium, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Schweisshund

Schweisshund Well-Known Member

I tried to post this on the other thread then realized it had been closed. There was a lot of inflamatory rhetoric that, I guess, compelled the mods to shut it down.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/10/2...dants-in-oregon-wildlife-refuge-standoff.html

What does this mean now? Is the FBI "corrupt" as recent wikileaks has revealed? How deep is this corruption? The collusion between the Obama administration, the DOJ and the FBI should be an indicator of how deep this corruption is.

They set up a road side ambush on an American citizen and murdered him.

2. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Maybe we are just one more box down the line. God help us if we slip any farther.

Soap
    Ballot
    Jury < You are here:-? ??

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

They are still being held for trial in Nevada. The charges in the Oregon case were something about preventing federal workers from going to work. The Nevada case involves pointing guns at federal officers and contract cowboys.

Did any of you know about the Bundys' attorney being tackled and tazed after the verdict?:dtmb:

4. Schweisshund

Did not know that:
    http://www.kgw.com/news/local/bundy...s-during-heated-argument-with-judge/343359074

5. GM404

GM404 Well-Known Member

I saw that, but they story I read didn't elaborate the circumstances.

Edit: http://www.kgw.com/news/local/bundy...s-during-heated-argument-with-judge/343359074

Apparently there was a "heated" exchanged between the judge and the attorney and eventually TWELVE marshals moved to take down the attorney. TWELVE? I guess he must have been a big, BIG, mean, MEAN attorney.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  6. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

The constant stream of political news has drowned out this story, as it has many others for the past year.

7. jmorriss

jmorriss Active Member

It's pretty big news out here, the trial has been in the local paper for weeks.

8. Schweisshund

I have time for a quick "off the wall" post. A friend of mine and I have talked over the course of ....going on 16 years ... About the original John Titor posts. For those that don't know about this conspiracy, and have never heard of it before, boy do I have a treat for you! (If you like sci fi conspiracy theory stuff):

http://www.anomalies.net/original-john-titor-posts-post2post-art-bell-forum-part-1/

For those that DO remember the original posts (2000 - 2001) you may seem to recall John Titor claiming that "before all hell broke loose" (not verbatim) that there was a rancher/farmer uprising against the Federal Government at about the same time Russia began moving ICBMs within strike range and how Russia was very public showing off their nuclear strength. While all this was going on, the US was politically polarized .... Remember? Something about the very last US election being before WWIII?

I can't remember off hand. I just thought this was a spooky coincidence, and it being Halloween, it might jar someone's memory.

9. phaed

phaed Active Member

didn't know about that til you posted it. i've heard judges get really pissed even at the mention of jury nullification. i guess seeing it in action pushed him over the edge.

10. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Even one of the defense attorneys was shocked at the verdict.

“I had been telling my client you can count on being convicted,â€
    said Matthew Schindler, a lawyer for one of the men on trial for the armed takeover of Oregon’s Malheur National Wildlife Refuge.

“You don’t walk into a federal court and win a case like this. It just doesn’t happen.â€

But win they did and even Schindler thought it “off the charts unbelievable,†he told the Seattle Times.

www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning...mists-militias/?tid=hybrid_collaborative_2_na

It should have been an easy decision to convict them, at least the ones who led the invasion from the first day. As for the others who joined later, that would have been tougher.

Neither Bundy brother got convicted? Sounds like jury nullification to me. A corrupt good-old-boy network, and their own kind dominate the population of that county, so they got acquitted by their "peers." Screw the law. Screw the government. We do out own thing out here. That's what message they're sending.

(Kinda like the tribal regions of Pakistan, or parts of Somalia. The local warlord / tribal leader is the king, and some government based thousands of miles away isn't the real authority. Your clan leaders are. Or the leader of the biggest, baddest clan near you. Like the Bundy clan and his y'allquaida militia)

11. gunsmoker

But I suppose another motivation for jury nullification is just not trusting the integrity of the prosecutors or the genuineness of the evidence they present.
    The FBI and U.S. Department of Justice may have done so many bad things over so many years in other cases that the people of Oregon simply will not trust them to prosecute a "fair trial" anymore.

But... but.... that would have to mean that even non-celebrity petty criminals who are tried in U.S. District Courts in Oregon would get acquitted regularly, riding the wave of the same anti-government sentiment.

That's not happening, is it. So then we're back to political affiliation-- militant hatriots versus the feds. The far away government vs. the local tribe.

12. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Well-Known Member

Have you seen mp? Im not tackling him solo

13. gunsmoker

A BETTER REASON:

The jury could have acquitted them based on the idea that while they are guilty, the federal legal system will unfairly punish them with an excessively long prison sentence and loss of civil rights (for life) based on a conviction.

Therefore, they acquitted because of the expected unfairness in the PENALTY to come, not the trial itself.

In some hypothetical other case, I'd do jury nullification and acquit somebody if I knew that the penalty for that crime was huge, but I didn't think it was that big of a deal and thought they should get a modest sentence that doesn't ruin their lives or break up their families or cost them their fundamental rights for decades afterward.

14. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

The Bundy attorney questioned the judge about why his client couldn't be released from custody and wanted to see the paperwork the US Marshals claimed they had to hold Bundy for the Nevada trial. The Marshals lost their sense of humor and dog piled him.

15. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

How about a conspiracy theory? There's talk that some of the co-defendants were in fact confidential informants. The prosecution flat out said the feds used CIs during the trial. If the Bundys were convicted but some of the other defendants weren't, that would have basically outed the CIs. Hence, the only way to protect the CIs identities was to find everyone not guilty.

16. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Her, not him. I could see where the haircut might have fooled you.

17. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

I always enjoy it when judges and lawyers get a little disruption in their game.

18. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Well not all of them made it out, they held court on the street and La Voy never made it out. Looked like murder to me.

19. phaed

phaed Active Member

murder is too vanilla of a description. it was a military style ambush with a kill zone targetting civilians.