Bulletproof Backpacks

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Croe, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Croe

Croe Guest

I have been reading quite a bit on these new backpacks for kids at school and think they are a great idea. I know when my girl gets of school age she will have one. They are a good bit more expensive than the normal backpack, but if the SHTF in my daughter's school I want her to be able to walk out unharmed and any extra protection I can provide for her that is legal in school I will.

What do you guys/gals think?

-B

2. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

If the SHTF at my daughters school I would like her teachers to have a concealed firearm and know how to use it.

3. Croe

Croe Guest

That would be nice too. Any schools allow it around here? If so those will be the first I look at.:D

-B

4. blind_shake

blind_shake Well-Known Member

oh i am sure some wing nut super intendant will ban them for being too heavy or because not all the kids can afford them. They become a fashion statment so they ban them for that.

5. Croe

Croe Guest

That is one of the stories on them I have seen. There are a few other companies making them now as well. I love how in that article the writer says:

"One immediate problem I see is that it will only protect you if you're shot in the back, at just the right height."

and

"It's suggested that they could be used as shields, but this will only work if you are faster than a moving bullet—there's only one man who is, and he doesn't need to worry about being shot. Perhaps the only way to be truly safe is for kids to climb totally into the bags. The range start from $175, and should calm even the most paranoid parents, if they can get their kids to carry the fugly things, that is."

In regards to the first quote.....if that is the case then why would anyone wear BP armor? If you know where to aim (headshot) then nothing in the way of body armor is going to do much good.

In regards to the second quote....unless your child is the first one shot at then they have a chance to pull the bag up for protection and I don't care how ugly he thinks it is. Does anyone wear armor as a fashion statement other than "hardcore hip-hop" artists? :lol:

-B

6. tony218

tony218 New Member

at my daughters school the bags have to be clear plastic
    or mesh.

7. zookeper

zookeper Active Member

my son's backback is usually crammed with so many books and other stuff that it's pretty much bullet proof anyhow, and besides it's a gunfree zone so he has very little to worry about.

8. bondrm

bondrm Guest

That might not help if they have to put in a locker either way. I know in high school and middle school it was too much of a hassle to carry a backpack anywhere. But you never know...it might be "cool" to carry around....just my 2¢

9. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Sadly, in Georgia, those of us who would, cannot. :x

10. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Many schools don't allow students to bring bookbags into the classroom. The students have to put their bags in their lockers at the start of the day and can get them out at the end of the day. Other schools require clear or mesh bookbags.

11. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

GGO,

Weird..haven't heard of that before...not allowing bookbags in the rooms...

12. Sine Nomen

Sine Nomen New Member

They started to get real big on it in Cobb County when I was in middle school in the mid-90's. In addition to book-bags, carrying a box for books was also disallowed (but girls' purses, no matter the size, were OK.). My final solution was to just not carry any books or notebooks at any time ever.

13. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I graduated high school in 2004 and there were never any rules for that. I was in Gwinnett.

14. Boy Racer

Boy Racer New Member