Bullet shortage: Overseas conflicts affecting local police

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Jeffrey101, Oct 3, 2007.

1. ThetaReactor

ThetaReactor Active Member

And yet, I've seen other reports [quoting ammo manufacturers] that claim that the war hasn't had any appreciable effect on the domestic ammo industry. They say that military and commercial ammo aren't even made in the same factories...

What gives? I used to work for a freight company, and we were constantly shipping tons of ammo [and I mean that- try moving a whole skid of .40S&W with a pallet jack!] to PDs. They might be cutting down on ammo due to budgetary constraints, but I really don't think we're running outta ammo.

2. GunNut

GunNut New Member

Doesn't seem to have affected prices at wal-mart much...or availability.

3. moonchicken

moonchicken New Member

Let's hope it stays that way.
    [-o<

Although Wal-Mart prices have gone up a couple of dollars per box in the past few months. But that's probably due to the cost increase in metals.

4. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

And you should see more when the Sept 1. manufacturer price jumps reach the store. I am surprised they haven't had to replenish that stock with the higher priced stuff yet...

5. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Here is one such report http://confederateyankee.mu.nu/archives/237760.php

I bet those pallets were similar to receiving several boxes of tire balancing weights at a tire store. Never seen such a small boxes weigh so much.

6. Firearmz

Firearmz New Member

Are any of you experiencing an ammo shortage? I'm not so I see no reason why LE Agencies are.

7. moonchicken

moonchicken New Member

The Walmart in Conyers always has plenty of ammo. The problem is finding somebody actually working on the sporting goods counter. Half of the time I go there the counter is unattended and I have to hunt somebody down throughout the store to sell me ammo, or I just leave and try again another day. :?

8. Firearmz

Firearmz New Member

Maybe thats the problem. all of the Wal-Mart Employees are off fighting the war on terror :lol:

9. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

You probably scared them off. Next time, tape a couple of cheap backpacks to your blinds and they'll never know you're there.

10. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

Maybe many of them are contracted to buy ammo from the same few places, where as you & I hit the online shops & see who has what for the best price that week & then order our few thousand rounds?

Just the first thing that popped into my head why any agency would say that.

11. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I think the complete statement would be that they can't find the bullets at the price they have budgeted to spend.