Bullet penetration comparison

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by mzmtg, Jul 19, 2007.

1. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

I've seen this image before, but not with the 10mm penetration. Is that photoshopped, or an actual 10mm channel?

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

:rotfl:

3. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

10MM incendiary round

4. budder

Ah. That second cavity made me think it was photoshopped, but I guess they just cheated :)

5. tace

tace New Member

Aside from the 10mm, everything I read before said that the 147gr 9mm penetrates less than the 124gr. Wasn't there an FBI statistic on this?

6. budder

Well, I know it should penetrate less, since it has less velocity...

7. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

I'm secure enough in my manhood to openly admit that I don't shoot the 10mm because it's just too much gun for my taste.

8. Malum Prohibitum

That is not necessarily a direct relationship, especially when the reason for the reduced velocity is increased mass.

Even on the chart above, the farthest bullet is under 1,000 fps. The .45 bullet typically penetrates very well in its heaviest loading, 230 grains, and it usually travels at 800 fps.

9. M249

M249 New Member

It's photochopped... You don't notice the mushroom cloud turned sideways? :)

:minigun:

10. budder

Well, while the reduced velocity is due to increased mass, energy is still mv^2, so velocity should be the more important component.

11. Malum Prohibitum

That is a kinetic energy formula, not a momentum formula. Which do you think matters more to penetration?

"Energy" :lol:

12. kkennett

kkennett New Member

I say just pull the trigger a couple of extra times on your 9 mm. After all, you'll have the rounds.

13. kkennett

kkennett New Member

Where are the 12 ga slug and the 30.06 in the picture? Remind me again why I don't conceal those :?

14. budder

Velocity, which is why I quoted the kinetic energy formula! :D

I don't know much about 147 loads, so I'm just going off of my best guess. However, if you can convince me, I'll be very happy to switch to 147 grain Gold Dots. I'm not stubborn enough to risk my safety!

15. budder

16. ber950

ber950 Active Member

17. budder

IWB? You'd never be able to draw it. I think an OWB would be more than good. Or maybe one of those holsters that rides across the front of your chest...

18. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Its an old Evan Marshall line. He said the reason he didn't carry his sawed off double was because Don Hume wouldn't make an IWB for it.