Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Aside from the 10mm, everything I read before said that the 147gr 9mm penetrates less than the 124gr. Wasn't there an FBI statistic on this?

·
Super Moderator
69,784 Posts
budder said:
tace said:
Aside from the 10mm, everything I read before said that the 147gr 9mm penetrates less than the 124gr. Wasn't there an FBI statistic on this?
Well, I know it should penetrate less, since it has less velocity...
That is not necessarily a direct relationship, especially when the reason for the reduced velocity is increased mass.

Even on the chart above, the farthest bullet is under 1,000 fps. The .45 bullet typically penetrates very well in its heaviest loading, 230 grains, and it usually travels at 800 fps.

·
Super Moderator
16,485 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
budder said:
tace said:
Well, I know it should penetrate less, since it has less velocity...
That is not necessarily a direct relationship, especially when the reason for the reduced velocity is increased mass.

Even on the chart above, the farthest bullet is under 1,000 fps. The .45 bullet typically penetrates very well in its heaviest loading, 230 grains, and it usually travels at 800 fps.
Well, while the reduced velocity is due to increased mass, energy is still mv^2, so velocity should be the more important component.

·
Super Moderator
16,485 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
That is a kinetic energy formula, not a momentum formula. Which do you think matters more to penetration?

"Energy" :lol:
Velocity, which is why I quoted the kinetic energy formula! :D

I don't know much about 147 loads, so I'm just going off of my best guess. However, if you can convince me, I'll be very happy to switch to 147 grain Gold Dots. I'm not stubborn enough to risk my safety!

·
Registered
3,596 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,485 Posts

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Its an old Evan Marshall line. He said the reason he didn't carry his sawed off double was because Don Hume wouldn't make an IWB for it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts