building my own AR

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by gsusnake, Sep 1, 2007.

1. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

I'm gonna follow the herd and build my own m4gery.

I'm not sure if I wanna go Rock River Arms or Stag for the upper. I want a 16" barrel, tactical 6-position stock, railed handguard, and no carry handle. I want the thing to make liberals pee in their pants at the mere thought of it. Super tacticool.

As far as lowers go, I'm thinking DPMS or Stag. If I go Stag for the upper, I'm definitely getting a Stag lower.

Any suggestions as far as good/bad experiences with various makes of AR? I want tacticool, fun, fairly easy to maintain/build/acquire and I want to stay under $1500 with accessories. I'm going either AimPoint or EOTech for the optic, and I'm going to pick up a Surefire for the handguard just for good measure.

2. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

dude....we gotta meet up this weekend so I can show you my Stag AR. I think you'll be sold on what to get. Especially since just I got my EOtech in.

3. cdtracing

cdtracing New Member

Let me know when you are ready. I've got Stag lowers in stock and I can also get you an upper kit how ever you want it.

Are you planning to work at the Forest Park show?

Chris

4. mc30707

mc30707 New Member

I have a stag model 2L and I really like it alot. I've only shot a couple hundred rounds thru it, but its perfect so far. fit and finish are great. you won't regret buying stag products

5. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I've gotta get a rail for mine...

6. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

If you are gonna roll your own this definitely doable. My setup right now is $1,600. (but I didn't build my AR from scratch)
    Stag Arms M4gery
    KAC RASII
    EOtech 511

Plus, Smith and I already know how to put one together, so you wouldn't have to research anything.

7. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Gotta watch your eyes with those damn springs and detents. Also, you were trying to find the effective range of a mag spring, it seems :shock:

:lol:

8. Marikhal

Marikhal Guest

Hmm.

I'm thinking I'm gonna build my own AR-15 sometime in the near-future. I want to get a DPMS lower receiver, and use an Alexander Arms 6.5mm Grendel upper (sexahhhh!). It's expensive, but I'll have the reloading press ready to go by then! :>

9. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Start saving brass now. That's my plan. I can only save the .223 and .40 though. The 7.62x39 I have is steel cased.

10. Marikhal

Marikhal Guest

I wish I could start getting some 6.5mm Grendel brass, but I don't have anything that shoots it! Also, not many people shoot a 6.5mm Grendel... bleh! And brass is like $50 per 100... BRASS! :(

Edit:
    [​IMG]
    7.62 NATO, 6.5mm Grendel, 5.56 NATO, in that order.

11. jp233

jp233 hu huh, you said "Member"

you can save steel cases.... just takes more to work them over.

biggest thing is most of the cheap AK ammo is berdan primed, so you need special tools to de-prime and re-prime.

steel cases will rust though too so, if you save it, make sure its dry and use dessicant