building from a kit

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by soldierlaney, Oct 6, 2010.

1. soldierlaney

soldierlaney New Member

I have been looking around and got the question in my head. How hard is it to put together the rifle kits they sale. and do they come with all the components or would you have to extra pieces to finish it out. thanks for all the info.

2. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

Which kind of rifle?
    If they come in the mail no FFL required, then you will either have to make or purchase a receiver from an FFL -- or you are discussing black powder which could be a different category.

3. soldierlaney

soldierlaney New Member

i was looking at the ak platforms that are mailed directly. it would be something i would be interested in trying if it was cost efficient but considering i havent really heard that much about it i wanted to ask on here to get any info i could use.

4. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

You can build your own rifles from kits. This is the wrong forum, "building a rifle" here means you bought AR parts and assembled them. Building any foreign rifle means you have to comply with 922r laws to be legal with your build as well as knowing what you need to do to build an AK pattern rifle. You'll need a bending jig and a good way to set rivets, etc.

Check out Weaponeer.net to get going.

SheriffOconee has also built a few AKs. He'll recommend a "screw build", but he and his buds built a few with rivets. You could shoot him a PM and see if he has any insight for you.

5. soldierlaney

soldierlaney New Member

thanks ill check out the site. i appreciate the help