Buford City Park

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by Rugerer, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

Anyone know if maybe Buford Park at 565 Sawnee is owned by the school system?

Sign looks new condition but sounds like old wording.

Buford High School is next to it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  2. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

The tax assessor's site is interesting. The specific lot in question is owned by the city of Buford, however, so is the plot of land the adjacent high school is on. The City of Buford schools owns something across the street (central office?).

3. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Open records act requests sound like they are in order to get copies of all pertinent documents regarding ownership, management, and how-why it can be considered school property, when this was done, and who authorized it.

Do we want this to be a group effort to make sure it's worded really well?

4. johnski

johnski Well-Known Member

(3) "School safety zone" means in or on any real property or building owned by or leased to: (A) Any public or private elementary school, secondary school, or local board of education and used for elementary or secondary education; and (B) Any public or private technical school, vocational school, college, university, or other institution of postsecondary education.

5. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

Well, they could be leasing those ball fields to the school :???:

6. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

Question is then... are they leasing them to the school?

7. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

Open records should be able to get a copy of the lease.

8. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

State pre-emption keeping you from prohibiting firearms? No problem, just have someone who can manage your park...

We really need to work on the public/private ownership issue next session.

9. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Forgive me if I am mistaken but didn't we get rid of school safety zones some time ago (the 1000 feet part of the sign specifically)?

10. Siege

Siege Active Member

Replying to sub thread for replies and updates. :popcorn:

11. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Had a nice phone conversation with Public Safety Director Dan Branch on Monday. Only the ball field at the park is leased. Dan mentioned the city has a 500' buffer around all school property to make it a "school safety zone", but I informed him I didn't think state law included a buffer.

I just now emailed him the link to HB 60 confirming there is no buffer and asking him to pass this along to the city attorney.

In the meantime, feel free to carry openly or concealed at the park as long as you stay off the ball field, and as long as you do not participate in any school events held on other parts of the park property, since "school functions" are also off limits.

No other property at the park is currently owned by or leased to the school system.

Dan told me it cost a lot of money to have the sign changed. Looks like the city will need to pony up some more dollars. I guess that's what they get for hiring a top notch attorney to give them advice.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  12. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Good job. Sounds like the city needs to hire competent counsel.

13. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

Well which ball field? The park is nothing more than ball fields.

14. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

Well, thanks! I had been ruminating on what kind of letter to write. I wouldn't have thought to just call.

"I'm not clear, Mr. Branch. Are you saying for the price of a sign, you want to keep breaking the law?"

If what he's saying is not blowing smoke, the new sign needs to say "The ball field has been designated..." not "Park property has been designated..."

Yet another reason to get campus carry free and clear. Now they're drawing magic lines down through interiors of parcels.

15. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

This is a good thread. Rugerer, thanks for finding this problem and posting.
    Phil, good on you for making that phone call and inquiring.

Now, although designation of all school property on county or city produced maps is not required, if such maps are being produced and they do not show any part of this public park to be school property that is powerful evidence in a defendant's favor. It raises the burden of production that the state would have to meet.

See code section 16–11 – 127.1, subsection "f".

16. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Their attorney just may be top notch. What better way to keep weapons out of a park than by creative wording on a sign? Most people will just accept them at face value.

17. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

Yep. Like the hospitals that cite OCGA code sections and scary non-relevant excerpts threatening felony charges