Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
انا باتمان
11,745 Posts
Basically he wants to say that he consulted with business leaders and they all agreed with his plan.

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
Add Teddy Turner to that list....

·
16,485 Posts
streetriots said:
Because its not their place to try to tell someone what they should do with their money.
Why don't you start your complaining with Dave Ramsey. He is talking to far more people and with much more forceful terms.

·
Registered
865 Posts
streetriots said:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/14/AR2010121403751.html

The Gates' and Buffett have launched an initiative to invite the wealthiest individuals and families to commit to giving the majority of their wealth to philanthropy.
I hope someone has the balls to tell them to :cantsay: themselves.
Do you tell the people dressed up as Santa ringing the bell to go f*ck themselves as well? It's an invitation, not an ultimatum.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Honestly I can get behind the idea that Buffet and Gates have. Their families are essentially set for the next several generations and even further if their descendants are smart. Essentially given they've checked that off their list of priorities, their next goal is basically to die broke, having given all their money to charities and other philanthropic things. There's nothing wrong with that at all.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I actually like this idea. Go with me here just for a second...

We take this idea, but expand it greatly. Turn it into a government program or initiative. Looks something like this.

Start out with a flat tax rate that would bring in just enough money to cover the absolute minimum expenses to run the country. Pay government employees, pay for the military, just the basics. This would take relatively little money, so the tax rate would be pretty low.

Then you give people the option to pay whatever they want above that rate. And you give them the option to decide where their money goes. If Bill Gates wants to donate an extra $10 million to continuing unemployment benefits, he checks the box and sends in his check. If George Soros wants to fund NPR or foreign aid to Djibouti, he marks the box and sends in his check.

Everybody wins.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I got no problems with it. It is their money, they can with it what they want and why not suggest that their peers do the same thing.

If I had 40 - 50 Billion, I think I'd go buy Hati or somewhere like that.

Turn the place into a benevolent dictatorship for my lifetime with a set plan for rolling into a democratic republic after my death. That'd be fun. Don't even have to do it militarily, just roll in & announce what you want to do and let everyone vote on the matter. Have a detailed plan of exactly what you are going to do. It would be like sim city but in reality. Talk about an awesome experiment. You could conceivably turn a small 3rd world nation into a 1st world leader in education and development in one or two generations.

·
انا باتمان
11,745 Posts
There are lots of examples of progressives looking to limit the population. Margaret Sanger started Planned Parenthood specifically to reduce the number of black children.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
streetriots said:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/14/AR2010121403751.html

The Gates' and Buffett have launched an initiative to invite the wealthiest individuals and families to commit to giving the majority of their wealth to philanthropy.
I hope someone has the balls to tell them to :cantsay: themselves.
I'm failing to see how asking people to give to charity is a bad thing. Do you respond the same way to the salvation army?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts