Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm moving a small amount of household goods (and a motorcycle) from Houston, TX to Savannah, GA (Hunter AAF). I looked at quotes. Budget is significantly cheaper than the other ones. Is there any reason I shouldn't use Budget Truck Rental?

I plan on getting a 10' truck. Think that's enough for a sportbike and about one room of junk (no furniture)?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Yes. When I moved from SC to GA all I had was a motorcycle, some random things (none of it furniture) and a car. Uhaul had to up me to a 17' truck since they didn't have anything smaller and it looked empty inside even with the motorcycle. 10' is fine, just put the bike in first, strap it down, and put your junk around it.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Used budget once for an across town move and had no issues with them. Truck was nice, customer service was nice. Cant guarantee you will have the same results, I would swing by the rental location first and check out the condition of the trucks no matter what carrier you use.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Wolfram said:
I would swing by the rental location first and check out the condition of the trucks no matter what carrier you use.
I would definitely do this!!

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I've used most of the trucking companies at one point or another. I always kept coming back to budget or penskee.

I'd recommend the next larger truck. 2 sizes larger if you are married.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
I've used Budget 3 times in the last couple of years, never had a problem. I always get a big enough truck to get the lift on the back though... makes loading furniture or gun safes much more enjoyable :D

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Used Budget in 2005 to move from North Carolina to Arkansas and that truck SUCKED Gas, Pulling Hills, Passing down hill. It was a diesl too. Definitly go by the place and check out the truck first make sure it is one of the newer ones that budget has.

Marine6212

·
what me worry?
6,504 Posts
Marine6212 said:
Used Budget in 2005 to move from North Carolina to Arkansas and that truck SUCKED Gas, Pulling Hills, Passing down hill. It was a diesl too. Definitly go by the place and check out the truck first make sure it is one of the newer ones that budget has.

Marine6212
no wonder it sucked gas you were supposed to use diesel

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
mark5019 said:
Marine6212 said:

Marine6212
Only the larger sizes use diesel-generally over 16'.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
jmorriss said:
mark5019 said:
Marine6212 said:

Marine6212
Only the larger sizes use diesel-generally over 16'.
Not necessarily, some of those smaller trucks (read vans) are diesel, as well. (how many 7.3, 6.0s do you see today? How many school buses do you see with "DT444?" That is a 7.3) If I was hauling weight, I prefer the diesel over the gasoline engine.

·
Registered
737 Posts
budget has newer and better trucks than uhaul, i have used both and will never use uhaul again.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all of the advice folks! I rented from Budget, and the trip went off without a hitch.

The drive was about 1100 miles. I got the bigger 15' gasoline truck. The rental only cost me $235.

·
انا باتمان
11,745 Posts
Wife and I used ABF moving from California. They drove it here, and we flew. Turns out it was cheaper, and more convenient, based on price, gas, meals, and hotel.

Give it a thought:

http://www.upack.com/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts