buddy is pissing me off

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by 1str8shot, Oct 18, 2010.

1. 1str8shot

1str8shot New Member

so i have friend of mine who is 25 years old, he is a diabetic. he has had 2 job in his life, one he got fired from, and the last one he quit. he worked 2 weeks at one, and 6 months at the other. he is now, somehow, drawing social security and not having to work. he says his diabetes is so bad he cant work.

he has been calling me everyday the last few weeks wanting me to go to big hammock wma with him to go hog hunting.

so lets get this straight, he benefits off of a government program he has paid practically zero into, because he is diabetic and claims it is so bad he cant work, but he can go run around the woods all day every day chasing pigs with his bow?

2. AV8R

AV8R Banned

Go hunting with him. Get some video. Report him for fraud with the video evidence.

Or you could just tell him to piss off for being a loser.

3. spotco2

spotco2 New Member

Some people abuse the system. Some people actually need the system to survive.

I know how frustrating it is to see someone on disability or SS working harder than a healthy person but usually you are not seeing the big picture. I did not learn this until about 10 years ago.

I have an uncle that was taken out of work because of heart problems. He owns some ghetto rental properties and he works on them almost weekly. He has built his family a new home since he has been out of work as well as clearing off some land and building a 60 x 80 barn. Heck, I thought the man was sick!

I finally had the pleasure of working with him on some projects and suddenly realized that the pace that he sets for himself is one that would not do well if he was working for someone else. He has to stop every few minutes and take a break. If he goes to long without taking a break his heart rate increases and its rhythm gets outta whack and his pacemaker/defibrillator knocks him on his tail. He has good days when he feels like doing stuff but he also has bad days when he can not hardly get out of bed. He has learned to cope and live with his disability.

My father is another. He will work you under the table as long as he has the energy and it does not involve a lot of constant walking. If he can stay in a small area then he can do anything, but if he has to walk a few hundred feet back and forth his knees and hips will hurt so bad that he can not stand up. If you saw him working in the shop you would think nothing was wrong with him but if you saw him walk from the house to the shop and back you would not think that he was able to pick up a tool.

Another close friend is diabetic. It is taking it's toll on his body and as long as he is properly medicated and eats the way he should, then he is fine for working for a few hours at a time like nothing is wrong. If he accidentally goes to long without his shot, eats something wrong or even gets to hot it will start shutting his body down at an alarming rate. He has been hospitalized several times over the past few years because his immune system has deteriorated to the point that any little thing can almost kill him. When he feels good though, you would never know there was an issue.

I guess what I am trying to say is that we don't always see every detail of a persons life and we typically only see what they want us to see. As I've grown older I've met a lot of people that have conditions in their life where you would think there was nothing wrong with them, but once you get to know them you realize they really are fighting a battle that is unimaginable to some.

If you really do consider this guy your friend take him hunting and enjoy your time together. True friends are hard to come by.

4. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

The Americans with Disabilities Act forces employers to make "reasonable accomodation" for people with a disability who are qualified to do the job, but need some slack or help with certain things.

So it sounds like your diabetic 25 year old friend is able to work, and employers must give him reasonable accomodation such as extra time for breaks to check his blood sugar levels, take his meds, go home early if the disease is acting up, etc. He's basically able to work, just not exactly the same way as the rest of us might work or the way his employer wants him to work.

Anyhow, if he's healthy enough to hunt pigs with a bow he's healthy enough to earn a living without being on the taxpayers' teat.

With the economy in the crapper these days, a lot of people are on social programs or trying to get on them simply because they can't find work. Not all of them are truly disabled, but if that's the easiest way to get a [government] check compared to working for a paycheck....

5. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

What annoys me is that it takes a lawyer to get a disability claim approved.
    And a third of it goes to the lawyer forever.

6. martin_j001

martin_j001 Active Member

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I'm 32. I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when I was 5. I've lived with this for 27 years now. I've been employed since I was 17 when I wasn't going to school. Your friend is giving people with diabetes a bad name for behaving in such a manner--feel free to tell him at the very least, you know of one fellow T1 diabetic who doesn't appreciate this.

7. RIA45

RIA45 New Member

My mother was approved for disability without an attorney. She had osteperosis in her feet so bad the bones were deteriorating. She couldn't walk, or stand.

8. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

I'm 30 and I have gout. Anyone who has gout or knows someone who does also knows how debilitating this disease is. There are some days that I cant even move my foot, much less stand or walk, without crying out in pain. But I still manage to drag my arse out of bed and go to work. I work in IT support and my job requires alot of travel. I suck it up and get on with life. I don't cower or depend on anyone else to get me through.

Your friend is a *****.

9. seereus

seereus Active Member

If your lucky, you will get to use his new bow that we all will have payed for. No doubt it will be a nice one.

10. In Glock I Trust

In Glock I Trust New Member

:righton:

Make that two people. I have been a diabetic for 27 years as well, diagnosed at the tender age of 23 months. I have owned my own business, sold it, and worked in several different fields. I am also an Eagle Scout who has spent time, 3 consecutive months, on the Appalachain trail. There is nothing we can't do without the proper medication and discipline. He is making us all look like irresponsible crybabies who use our disease as a crutch. I for one, refuse to do so. :cantsay:

11. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

How do we, as individuals, stop the abuse? I'm sincere.

I watched a woman buy cigarettes and beer with food stamps. She then was given cash in change, which she used to buy lottery tickets next door (BP Station).

What's the first step that we should take?

12. broomhandle

broomhandle New Member

Hi Sir,

Turn him in with out delay!
    I have no problem with a person that is really sick or ill!
    It appears this guy is just lazy asx!
    We have WAY too many illegal's in the country to take care of too!

Best,
    broomhandle

13. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

Well said, "Broomhandle"! I miss ya'!

14. AV8R

AV8R Banned

:lol: :righton:

15. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

My dad has that. I've seen him cry twice my whole life, once when his father died and once during a bout with Gout. I'm sure you are aware that certain foods can help trigger it, although it can just flare up. But eating cherries(8-10 a day) are supposed to help. It's hereditary, so far I have avoided it thankfully.

16. corey541

corey541 New Member

My father is a type 1 diabetic, he's had multiple surgeries on his eyes, has no feeling in his feet, and has sleep apnea on top of that and still works 50+ hours a week in a carpet mill. Your "buddy" needs to suck it up.

17. fmlaw1

fmlaw1 Active Member

I do believe there is a phone number to drop a dime on 'em, IIRC.

18. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

I'm not going to quote your last line , but I don't disapprove of it in this instance either.

For everything you said :righton:

19. fiwit

fiwit New Member

A friend of mine has gout, and he swears that a container of yogurt a day keeps it away. He hasn't had a flare=up in 3 years, or more. He's just glad he likes yogurt

20. foxtrotterz

foxtrotterz New Member

This is what I have thought about posting for a while. There is a lady across the street with 4 little girls, has a live in boyfriend, on parole, but supposedly makes good money. She left her other husband, because she got tired of doing housework and cooking for him.

Well, now she rents a house across the street from me, she gets some form of hand out because she ran the numbers and it makes more sense for her to collect welfare than it does to get up and earn a day's work.

My neighbor also tells me that this lady showed her last week that she gets $700 dollars a month in food stamps.

This lady smokes and drinks(most likely on my dime) and stays home all day. She also lets her dog roam free, into my yard, and it has destroyed my property. All my neighbors know that I am sickened by the lady, mostly the fact that she is teaching her kids that it is acceptable to give up and collect a check instead of facing life and working through the tough times. I am ready to call a number if I knew what I was trying to prove other than the fact that I think welfare is morally wrong when an individual is not genuinely in need of it, but rather becomes dependent on it.

It sickens me to see these people come home with steaks and desserts, toys for the kids and I am watching my budget so that I can live a modest lifestyle. I just don't understand how some people have no perception that it isn't free money, it is literally stealing from their own children. You hear about losers in their 30's that will steal from their own parents, we have the exact opposite thing happening these days at an even more alarming rate.