Bryan County

Discussion in 'Ga. County Licensing Information' started by Hawkdriver, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Hawkdriver

Hawkdriver Member

Just want to say WOW.

Just a hair over 4 hours with GFL in hand. To be honest I spent 20 minutes filling out paperwork and getting my prints done on electrons.

The system was down, so I went home, hung a ceiling fan in my sons room and recieved a call later to come get printed, sign and pick it up.

With travel time included I think 40 minutes is what I spent for the entire process.

The probate judge and his clerk were curtious and efficient.

I do have to add, I did all this at the Richmond Hill court annex. The Bryan County judge is available only there on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Call ahead for appointments.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I think we have a record for 2007. Send the probate judge a free GCO T-shirt! :D

3. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

HOLY SHAT! Some of that goodness needs to rub off on Bulloch...or maybe it can rub off on Ramm and he can bring some to Fulton. :shock: :shock: :shock:

4. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Welcome, by the way. :D :wave:

5. LeCZends

LeCZends New Member

:shock: that's gotta be a WORLD record :D

6. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

Can we get that Judge on a conference call with GCO and some of the more time consuming Judges?

Seriously.

7. Jeffrey101

Jeffrey101 New Member

That's it; I'm moving.

Seriously, how is it that this judge can get this done in 4 hours and it takes others 4+ months? Is he/she NOT following the law and doing the required checks? Can the required checks actually be done that fast? Maybe this needs to be pointed out to the GA Supreme Court should they decide to hear the 60-day case.

8. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

Not only are they efficient, Bryan County's really nice, too.

I'm quite fond of the town of Richmond Hill.

AND there's a WMA range not far.

9. Hawkdriver

Hawkdriver Member

First, thanks for the welcome.

Second.....X2 for all the above. To be honest just about everything I have done thus far concerning the local goverment has been easy to deal with and the officials I have been in contact with have all been very nice. I reserve the right to get a standard crappy local official in the future however! :D

I am certinaly not going to argue the quickness of the process. It could have well been that I hit it on the right day at the right time when they were all in a very good mood.

I also heard horror stories from my peers at work when they put in for the GFL at Chatham county. They all had to take 60 + days.

I still carry my copy of 16-11-130 for the exemptions of the standard off-limits carry areas.

Additionally in my conversation with the Probate Judge, he confirmed that indeed only a military ID would be sufficient for carry. He also added, as I expected, that most Officers won't know that and while you may beat the charges, there is no reason to spend extra time explaining the code to the Officer or wasting your day in jail trying to get it worked out in the end.

This site has been a great wealth of information. I will point it out to anyone interested in carry while in the State of Georgia.

10. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Did the judge make it seem like he was "fixing you up" since you are in the military or did it seem like you went through the standard process?

Just curious.

11. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

HawkDriver,

Congrats and welcome. I did mine in Chatham on 2 Jan and did not get it untill end of March, I should live in Bryan for the renewal!! If I ever get back in town we will need to do a shoot for the East GA coast. With GSU and us it would be atleast 3 and more from Bullock.

12. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

HawkDriver,

Congrats and welcome. I did mine in Chatham on 2 Jan and did not get it untill end of March, I should live in Bryan for the renewal!! If I ever get back in town we will need to do a shoot for the East GA coast. With GSU and us it would be atleast 3 and more from Bullock.

If you are staying in GA for some time check our GCO....

13. Hawkdriver

Hawkdriver Member

No not at all. I also maintain a TS-SCI for work and we talked about that fact that last year (or awhile ago) he had the choice to save the state money on the background check, but now it isnt an option.

The digi print system is pretty new to them however, so if you did the process even a little while ago, it may have been a little more time consuming.

14. Hawkdriver

Hawkdriver Member

I have checked out GCO.

PM me anytime if you want to do some shooting.

Thanks for the welcome!

15. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

+1 for me in Bulloch.

16. Hawkdriver

Hawkdriver Member

Update 16 AUG:

I had some friends from work apply today here and told it will take 4 weeks only due to the backup of investigations on the FBI side.

4 weeks still isnt all that bad considering what Chatham county is doing next door.

17. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Backups? I guarantee if you buy a gun in Bryan county there wouldn't be any delay. Isn't a NICS check all that the probate runs on a national level (FBI)?

18. Malum Prohibitum

No, they are also required to ask the local law enforcement agency to run a fingerprint based check through NCIC.

See subsection (d)(1), (2), and (3) for all of the checks.

19. Malum Prohibitum

The NCIC check (FBI) is duplicative of NICS, however.