Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone other than me, likes and carries, a Browning Hi-Power? I carry one in .40 S&W. I like the wider grip, better than a 1911. Just because my hands are kinda big. And because it holds 10+1. Would love to hear your opinions.

·
Administrator
7,150 Posts
I occasionally still take my Hi-Power out when walking the mutt. Mine is a MkIII in 9mm with Meprolites.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Archangel said:
I occasionally still take my Hi-Power out when walking the mutt. Mine is a MkIII in 9mm with Meprolites.
Mine is the first handgun I ever bought and carried I still have it from the 70's

Slammy

·
Administrator
7,150 Posts
Mine is a 1990. You made me go look. :lol:

·
Ordinary Average Guy
2,934 Posts
I have a Tactical model in .40 that I picked up while I was stationed in Germany during the mid/late '90s.

It's a great shooting pistol. 8) Only problem is, my Dad thought so, too! :lol:

I wouldn't have a problem carrying it however, I've pretty much gone away from .40 S&W.

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
I had one from 1989 to 1998 and it is one of the few guns I truly miss. Mine was a "only god knows how many handed down" but it ran like a champ and was a tack driver.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,691 Posts
I like the feel of the Hi-Power. I remember back in the days when high-capacity (over 7 rounds) pistols were rare, and there were only a few models to choose from. I would have chosen the Hi-Power in 9mm with the 13 + 1 capacity and a grip that is manageable for my hands. But by the time I was old enough to buy my own guns, the "wondernine" revolution was well underway and I ended up getting a different 9mm pistol.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
gunsmoker said:
I like the feel of the Hi-Power. I remember back in the days when high-capacity (over 7 rounds) pistols were rare, and there were only a few models to choose from. I would have chosen the Hi-Power in 9mm with the 13 + 1 capacity and a grip that is manageable for my hands. But by the time I was old enough to buy my own guns, the "wondernine" revolution was well underway and I ended up getting a different 9mm pistol.
I just can't part with mine I had to make payments on it LOL seems like 100 years ago!

Slammy

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
slammy said:
Mine is the first handgun I ever bought and carried I still have it from the 70's.

Slammy
Me too. I bought it in 1972, right after I got my first job - it was $137.50, and I wondered how I was ever going to pay for it. I still have it, I still shoot it, I still love it. My other BHP is a Mark III .40; I also have a Bar-Sto 9mm conversion barrel for it.

I occasionally carry the older one, but tend to stick with a H-K P7M8 as a primary carry. I know BHPs are built for condition one carry, but my head is not . . . . been thinking of getting a new Mark III and having a SFS kit added to it, though - does anyone here have experience with the safety fast system on the BHP?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Teeter said:
slammy said:
Mine is the first handgun I ever bought and carried I still have it from the 70's.

Slammy
Me too. I bought it in 1972, right after I got my first job - it was $137.50, and I wondered how I was ever going to pay for it. I still have it, I still shoot it, I still love it. My other BHP is a Mark III .40; I also have a Bar-Sto 9mm conversion barrel for it.

I occasionally carry the older one, but tend to stick with a H-K P7M8 as a primary carry. I know BHPs are built for condition one carry, but my head is not . . . . been thinking of getting a new Mark III and having a SFS kit added to it, though - does anyone here have experience with the safety fast system on the BHP?
I don't have any knowledge of the SFS, but I put Pacmyer (sp) grip on mine and toted it around for ages even printing large with the big old fat handle. I have a 30 round mag I still love to blast away with....

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I had a nice one back in the 80's with high profile sights and wide thumb safety. Unfortunaltly it didn't hit anywhere near point of aim and I sold it rather than having the sights fixed. :banghead:

·
I'm kind of a big deal
5,243 Posts
I've never owned one but it is certainly on "the list" (the ever-growing list). :righton:

·
Registered
945 Posts
I have a BHP I brought when I got back form the UK training with the SAS in 1981 I retired it and it is in a glass case over my fire place.

I paid $235.00 for it brand new in 1981 and in those days when you went to school the premier weapons system was the 1911 .45acp and there I would be with my BHP and the instructors would turn their mouths up and wonder why I had a 9mm but never said anything bad about my shooting.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,989 Posts
Although I never owned one, it was the first semi-auto I ever fired. That was years ago. At the time it was the duty weapon of DKPD's detective division. My step-dad at the time was a LEO for Dekalb. They carried 9mm ball ammo.

Now, I have essentially an upgraded BHP, the CZ75B-SA. :D

·
Registered
149 Posts
My dad has one and i must say its one of the sweetest shooting guns i've ever had the pleasure of putting lead through. He carries it fairly often i think. i'd love to have one, but its a little out of my reach for now.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
I have one that my dad has given to me. He got it in the 80's as a memento of working with the Aussie troops in Vietnam, who were issued Hi-Power's. Dad is a fan of both of JMB's masterpiece handguns.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts