Browning A-5

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by grog, Oct 11, 2010.

1. grog

grog New Member

I recently purchased a Browning A-5, and took it to the range today. It doesn't fire in semi-auto, I have to cycle the bolt by hand after every round. :x The friction rings and spacer bushings are in the correct order, and there's nothing else wrong that I can see.

Any ideas?

2. RevolverDan

RevolverDan Active Member

Just make sure its clean and the rings are not setup for heavy loads when you are shooting light loads.

Edit: I responded with my Rem 1100 standard response before I pulled my head out of my butt and corrected it. :)

3. ChipM

ChipM Active Member

I'll second that if it is clean and operating smoothly, then the friction rings may be set for heavy loads.

4. grog

grog New Member

Dan and Chip, thanks for the replies. Yes, the action is clean. As for the rings, I set up the rings and spacers using the factory diagram for 3" loads, which is on the inside of the stock. I was using 3" ammo with slugs for the "test" firing. The recoil wasn't bad. :wink:

After I clean it again, just to be sure, I'll do another range day and see what happens.

5. RevolverDan

Is it a 3" gun? Not all A5's will manage 3" shells, and that could for sure cause it not to eject. Check the barrel and make sure it's not marked for 2 3/4 only.

6. grog

grog New Member

Dan, I looked again, the chamber is for 3". And I figured it out-there's no gas port for the action. Now I go talk to the guy I bought it from. :evil:

7. RevolverDan

A5s don't have gas ports. They are recoil operated. Some of the Japan models have a plugged port b/c the same barrel was used on some gas operated guns the manufacturer made. Since the A5 is not gas operated, they just plugged the port so it didn't do anything. Older barrels will have no port at all.

8. ChipM

ChipM Active Member

Next thing I can guess is a broken extractor claw, maybe? But you said it cycles fine by hand, right?

9. grog

grog New Member

Dan, thanks for the info.

Chip, yes the action cycles fine and freely by hand. When I load the tube, the first round cycles into the barrel, and I finish loading.

I'm calling the tech people for Browning today.

10. RevolverDan

If you have a 3" gun then I'm assuming its a magnum gun. A lot of people have issues with it shooting lighter loads (less than 1200 fps or so). If the shells eject by hand, I'd suggest to start by taking the spring off the mag well and apply/wipe a light coat of rem oil, then install the friction rings configured for light loads and give it another shot. See if that does the trick.

11. mygunstoo

mygunstoo Active Member

If my memory serves me right, the A5 have a lever or selector on the side of the receiver that makes them single shot or semi auto.

I would suggest get a copy of the owners manual. :lol:

12. grog

grog New Member

Thanks, Dan, that's what I was planning to do, but the advice is appreciated.

my, yes there's a selector lever on the left side of the frame, but that "locks" the feeding action, so I would have to load through the ejection port. And I have a copy. :neener: :-D

13. RevolverDan

That shouldn't prevent the loaded shell from ejecting though. It only prevents the next shell from feeding, and in turn the action would stay open until that lever is flipped again or the next shell is manually loaded into the barrel and the release button is pushed.

14. mygunstoo

mygunstoo Active Member

Like I said, my memory lied to me. :evil:

15. grog

grog New Member

Well, I had some extra time yesterday, so I took the Browning to the range. After 15 rounds and some adjusting, I got the weapon to cycle. :D The interesting point is that it cycles shooting 3" ammo with the friction rings arranged for 2-3/4" ammo. :? And it won't cycle with 2-3/4" shells no matter what arrangement the friction rings are in. :x

So it looks like it's time to buy another 12 gage. :mrgreen:

16. RevolverDan

If I were you, I'd have a smith look at it. Most shotgun owners will tell you there is NEVER a good reason to write off an A5.

17. grog

grog New Member

Dan, I'm not going to sell the Browning, I should have typed that differently. I'm going to buy another 12 gage, and keep the A-5.

18. RevolverDan

Ah! Good call. :righton: