Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you who have invested in nice CB leather holsters. Do you prefer brown, black, or exotic? I feel black is a safe - goes with anything color choice - and brown seems nice.

I am not sure I would personally be interested in an exotic leather especially if will usually be CC and not wanting to call attention to myself like one might for a BBQ gun.

If if the polymer framed pistol is black it seems that one might still go with a classic alternate color for the holster.

Additionally, when open carry do you match your belt and shoe color with your holster choice of the day regularly or only for BBQ events?

· Man of Myth and Legend
20,544 Posts
Shoes determine shirt determines tie determines belt determines sidearm holster.

Or some bogus claim or idea similar to that. Ask your wife or GF. They know such things.

Nemo

Reactions: Scout706

· Administrator
7,213 Posts
Why not both? I love this one he made for my Sig P365xl...

Brown Bag Font Personal protective equipment Strap

· Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why not both? I love this one he made for my Sig P365xl...

View attachment 24829
Very nice! I was looking at that style on his portfolio page. I need to measure the dimensions to my right pocket from the belt line and work out where the bottom of the holster or muzzle will become visible given when covered by a untucked shirt or jacket that was not comically long/large. My EDC for this holster would be my G17.4.

I already have a IWB option for when things just don't work out for OWB. This will actually be my first OWB holster that is not a paddle or retention holster, which while functional are at the extreme end of stretching the definition of "concealable".

I've gone back and forth on if to do this or not. I just have not seen this style in real life and always tabled the idea to another day.

· Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you find yourself carrying the double mag pouch @Archangel?

I've only ever used mine when in a class or when I shot a USPSA match. And really if you get into USPSA they prefer multiple single pouches so that placement can be precise for speed. Also it doesn't seem that leather holster are common or wanted on the range at USPSA given what I have seen at the match and read online. And especially if one puts one of the new Glock Performance Triggers on a competition gun, dropping the trigger weight to 3.5 lbs or less Kydex drop and offset is probably way safer for that use case ;-p

· Man of Myth and Legend
20,544 Posts
Forget that stuff. Just go with a good pancake.

Second link has a nice one at a great price.

Third has a nice high ride one.

Nemo

• Helpful
Reactions: frankr

· Super Moderator
75,161 Posts
Forget that stuff. Just go with a good pancake.

Second link has a nice one at a great price.

Third has a nice high ride one.

Nemo

I am just curious whether you have tried a CB's Leatherworks holster?

· Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That hunter one doesn't - to my lay eye - does not seem to be following the rule of completely covering the trigger guard which is considered necessary for safety with a striker fired pistol.

· Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@Malum Prohibitum Given your background I appreicate your thoughts on retention. The other compelling argument I read against traditional leather holsters and open carry is that it is practically negligent not to have a full retention holster while open carry and that the true bad guy will see you and take your gun [probably after hitting you on the head with a wrench] (exagerating only slightly). Some who advocate this have quite reputable backgrounds. Is this LEO thinking bleeding over or something else? I mean we've all seen the floppy Uncle Mikes OC guy and that is not the type of setup being discussed here.

The other argument is leather holsters have to be disposed of after a few years because the leather will become weak and the trigger will get pulled while holstering if not impecably careful. Maybe this is big Kydex propaganda or the proliferation of cheap leather, I don't know. But the advocates seem to have well reasoned backgrounds on this.

I am likely to be CC 90% of the time both to avoid questions and out of general practice especially with small kids.

· Super Moderator
75,161 Posts
I used to be anal retentive about retention.

I no longer am, after decades of carrying openly.

CB's Leatherworks will make a thumb break for you, though, if that is what you want.

I am not going to try to convince you one way or the other.

· Man of Myth and Legend
20,544 Posts
Reactions: Malum Prohibitum

· Super Moderator
75,161 Posts
Appreciate it. I was truely asking your personal opinion, not prying to be convinced.
Well, like I said, my views used to fit in with those experts with reputable backgrounds. I have modified my position and now carry daily in a holster that looks something like post #4. (something like 5 years now).

I am not against retention devices, and if that makes you feel more comfortable, then go for it.

· Super Moderator
75,161 Posts
I did both, too, and exotic (giraffe and warthog).

Snap pancake for g20, inlay/overlay in giraffe and warthog, with two matching magazine carriers.

Really tough materials.

g20 mags in giraffe/warthog.

Those are photographs that Chuck took in his shop, before I had them, but they still look new half a decade later.

· Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There was that time at a GCO convention that I took the blue gun away from the nationally renowed firearms retention trainer on stage. That changed his plan for the rest of the presentation. I was getting some nice high fives the rest of the time. Gosh that seems like a lifetime ago now. I just waited for a moment of distraction and did a martial arts style move that I had in my muscle memory.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts