Bridges are icing up

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by spotco2, Dec 15, 2010.

1. spotco2

spotco2 New Member

I've been listening to the scanner for the past hour or so and it sounds like every bridge in Floyd and Polk county has iced up.

Everyone be careful out there driving home.

2. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

Roads in Pickens, at least higher elevations are icing.

3. Match10

Match10 Active Member

Cherokee down ointo Cobb as well.

4. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I hear the authorities closed Ga Hwy 20 between Canton and Cumming.
    Cherokee County had 90 vehicle wrecks reported from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. tonight.
    I saw cars all over the road and in ditches, one upside down, in the Cumming area.

5. Owl

Owl New Member

.........And all the know-it-all-what's-the-big-deal-Yankees said in unison: "Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh." :neener:

6. rabbivj

rabbivj My Name is Inigo Montoya

THIS!

7. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

It took me 2 1/2 hours to drive from I20 and Thornton Rd home to Cumming.

8. ookoshi

ookoshi Moderator

I left work early because of the ice. Still ended up spinning the wheels a little in the parking lot where I live. Thank goodness I left when I did, 30 minutes later and it would've been hell getting back up to Roswell.

9. psrumors

psrumors Well-Known Member

Left the house which is just off exit 296 & I-75 @ 5:00 to pick up pizza. Went to main street in Cartersville. I left main street at 5:45 and didn't get home till nearly 8:00 due to all the bridge closures and wrecks. Had to drive N on 411 to Adairsville and come back south.

10. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

Tell me about it my dad slid in to me work truck in the driveway :faint: Now I have to wait on a police report in the morning before I can go to work if I can while he goes to meet W. :(

11. dam294

dam294 Active Member

It took me 2.5 hours to get from Alpharetta to Buford. I left the office at 5:10 and got home at 7:40. I encountered a couple slippery spots on the road but I was in the most danger when I stopped at KFC in Buford. I almost slipped and smashed my head on the sidewalk to the entrance. :(

12. spotco2

spotco2 New Member

Just saw on the news where spaghetti junction has been closed since around 5:30 leaving everyone stranded there until the ramps open back up.

I would hate to be stuck in that mess.

13. HydroAuto

HydroAuto GPDO Commonlaw Spouse

This. It took me about 2.5 hours to get up to 296 tonight. It was going fairly smoothly until Acworth, then it came to a standstill. Evidently a tractor trailer jack-knifed and was hanging off the overpass at exit 290 (GA20). After about an hour of crawling up 75 I was able to get to 41 in Emerson and run up to 411 and get back on 75 for a couple more miles. Lots of ditched cars on the secondary roads too, although 41 was in excellent shape with sand/gravel on the bridges & overpasses.

14. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Any idea if things will be better tomorrow morning? It looks like Atlanta is going to stay around freezing overnight, so the mice might not build up too much.

If the ice is at the same level it was tonight, I'm not going to be able to get to work :?

15. commodore_dude

commodore_dude Active Member

Drove 50 miles to take my mom home from work since I've got siped tires and 4wd, and the only time I needed them was when I got back to my house and couldn't get up the driveway :roll:.

16. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

What the mice don't like to work out when the temp is freezing?

J/K It looks like this should change around morning.

17. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

why would there be ice on the road 8) checking in 30 mins from the florida line)

18. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Who do you think is creating all those black ice spots? I doubt it's the dogs. :roll:

19. elandil

elandil Redneck Engineer

Left work at 11:10. First bridge I come to, other side is shut down and either a Box Truck or Trailer was off the road on the other side. Not sure which, all I could see was the back door in the trees. The rest of 53East was fine, 140 to Adairsville wasn't bad, except for the two bridges going into town.

However, the driveway and gravel area where I park were both solid sheets. I've never seen gravel be that smooth before.

20. Mortalis

Mortalis New Member

I'll be leaving work here on 30 minutes and hopefully its not bad. I wish it would not just ice up but snow. Nothing works in ice but my jeep wouldn't complain about snow :)