Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20101 ... _case.html - Original, BROKEN LINK, notice how it has the old governor's name? Lol!

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20101 ... _case.html - New link. Works.

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie gave the Aitken family all they wanted for Christmas Monday.

Christie signed a letter ordering Brian Aitken, a New Jersey man sentenced to seven years in jail for having weapons he legally purchased in Colorado, to be released from Mid-State Correctional Facility as soon as possible.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts
Good for Christie.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Glad he is freed. Hope it is a full pardon and record expunged (as it shoul dbe)
Link didnt work for me.

edit: Full celebration on hold to hope for full pardon. But gladd sentence is commuted (thanks for fixing the link)

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,725 Posts
It was a pardon, as Gov. Christie had said he would make his decision regarding a pardon for Aitken by Christmas.

Great Christmas present for him and his family!

Way to go Gov. Christie! :D

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Phil1979 said:
It was a pardon, as Gov. Christie had said he would make his decision regarding a pardon for Aitken by Christmas.
It was not a full pardon.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/1 ... es_se.html

Gov. Chris Christie commuted Aitken's sentence, from seven years to time served, according to an order the governor signed today.
We will know soon whether there will be a full pardon and restoration of his rights or not.

·
Registered
7,992 Posts
If I was that dude I would cut my losses on all my stuff and be on the first thing smokin outta there...

·
I'm kind of a big deal
5,243 Posts
gruntpain1775 said:
If I was that dude I would cut my losses on all my stuff and be on the first thing smokin outta there...
You got that right! :righton:

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update:

http://www.app.com/article/20101220/NEW ... ssion-case

Aitken's father, Larry Aitken, said his son's attorney is still fighting to have the conviction reversed.

The commutation Monday only dismisses the remainder of the prison sentence. Larry Aitken said the family will keep fighting until his son's name is cleared. Larry Aitken said he personally wrote the governor a letter asking for clemency over the summer.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
gruntpain1775 said:
You can say that, again. I would never stay and live in a place that charged me and convicted me like they did. I'd be gone. Probably to a state with much better gun laws and more freedom in general.

This is a huge win, and I hope he is allowed all his rights back. :cheers: :righton:

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Dumb question, but what are the odds he gets his guns back?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
in the big picture, commutation may be the best option, since he may still appeal the original ruling and challenge the constitutionality of the statute he was convicted of. If he had been pardoned he would lose standing to appeal.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
EJR914 said:
gruntpain1775 said:
You can say that, again. I would never stay and live in a place that charged me and convicted me like they did. I'd be gone. Probably to a state with much better gun laws and more freedom in general.
He moved back to New Jersey to be close to his kids after he and his wife split up and she moved back.

Burlington County is a hop, skip, and jump across the bridge from Pennsylvania. Much better gun laws there and still close to his family, althought the conviction will still keep him from carrying.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Check the comments here and cheer. Pro-gun comments far outweigh anti-gun comments in New Jersey!

I always read the comments, to see the foaming-mouthed anti-gunner comments. Yes, there were a few, but most of the comments were very pro-gun and thanking Christie for commuting the sentence.

Then I went back to get the URL to post it here, and the most egregious commentor (All gun owners are cowards) was no longer there. A NJ news site, removing anti-gun posts and leaving the pro-gun posts. My world is turning upside down :panic:

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/1 ... es_se.html

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
RecoveringYankee said:
Burlington County is a hop, skip, and jump across the bridge from Pennsylvania. Much better gun laws there and still close to his family, althought the conviction will still keep him from carrying.
Or possessing. Ever.

John Popper (Blues Traveler frontman) moved to PA for exactly that reason.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Xiclotl said:
they are probably in the smelter already. :( But the NJ cops see him as a convicted felon. He was a bad guy because he was not one of them and had a firearm. Unfortunately that is the world they live in up there.

I really don't understand how the cops who arrested him can sleep at night knowing what they did to him.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
samman23 said:
Xiclotl said:
they are probably in the smelter already. :( But the NJ cops see him as a convicted felon. He was a bad guy because he was not one of them and had a firearm. Unfortunately that is the world they live in up there.

I really don't understand how the cops who arrested him can sleep at night knowing what they did to him.
All I know is Mother's Day is going to pretty darn awkward from now on. #-o

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Aitken claimed he was protected under a state exemption because he was moving from Mount Laurel to Hoboken at the time. A Burlington County judge refused to allow the jury to see the exemptions, claiming Aitken's defense team did not present enough evidence during the trial to show he was moving.
Oh where is the BS flag when I need one...
Find that judge and fire him. He clearly has an agenda that is anti 2a.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts