Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Glock Block Supporter
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On Friday, July 22, just as members of his party were gathering in Philadelphia to coronate Hillary Clinton as their presidential nominee, the Obama Administration once again released a sweeping gun control measure by executive fiat. This time the bad news came via the U.S. State Department’s Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC), which is primarily responsible for administering the Arms Export Control Act (AECA) and its implementing rules, the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). The upshot is that DDTC is labeling commercial gunsmiths as “manufacturers†for performing relatively simple work such as threading a barrel or fabricating a small custom part for an older firearm. Under the AECA, “manufactures†are required to register with DDTC at significant expense or risk onerous criminal penalties.
The AECA/ITAR require anybody who engages in the business of “manufacturing†a defense article to register with DDTC and pay a registration fee that for new applicants is currently $2,250 per year. These requirements apply, even if the business does not, and does not intend to, export any defense article. Moreover, under ITAR, “only one occasion of manufacturing … a defense article†is necessary for a commercial entity to be considered “engaged in the business†and therefore subject to the regime’s requirements.
DTC’s new “guidance†only makes this situation worse by coming up with a confusing and counterintuitive list of activities that it considers “gunsmithing†versus “manufacturing†(despite the fact that it insists it relies on the “ordinary, contemporary, common meaning†of those terms).
http://controversialtimes.com/news/...ecutive-order-puts-gunsmiths-out-of-business/

·
Registered
8,783 Posts
What a misleading title. There was no executive order. The President's signature isn't even on the DDTC memo in question...

·
Registered
3,033 Posts

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,904 Posts
So, if I tinker on the side and thread some barrels for a few bucks, I have to pony up $2250 a year for a "manufacturer" license? My prices would either go up, or I'd close up shop. I'd say that would affect my gun-owning customers.

This incremental infringement on our rights needs to stop.

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
So, if I tinker on the side and thread some barrels for a few bucks, I have to pony up $2250 a year for a "manufacturer" license? My prices would either go up, or I'd close up shop. I'd say that would affect my gun-owning customers.
Exactly!

On another note, the "guidance" issued by DDTC uses the term "engaged in the business of manufacturing" to determine applicability of the new rule. Most gunsmiths that we would ordinarily engage with provide "services" rather than actual "manufacturing." As Phil stated, threading a barrel would now require registration and paying that exorbitant fee. But what, exactly, did the gunsmith "manufacture?" No new tangible product was created. An existing product was modified. That is not the classic definition of manufacturing. Most gunsmiths are in the business of providing services. This will end up in court.

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,938 Posts

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
This.

Controversial Times over sensationalizes many things on a regular basis, in a attempt to stir the pot. They are almost as bad as some of the far left publications.
Well, left, right, center...doesn't matter. Any of these "news" sites are out to do nothing but generate click throughs and the best way is to generate a title that is nothing more than click bait. If it sounds like a controversial website, then you can bet they are trying to do nothing more than get as many eyes on the site as possible. I know that one is pretty bad (controversial times), since the mobile version is almost unreadable due to the ads.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
If you remove the barrel from a gun, does the barrel just become a piece of pipe?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts