Brand New Light Weight AR

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by LoneOak, Sep 6, 2016.

1. LoneOak

LoneOak Proprietor LoneOakTerrace

Check this out----I just finished building it for a friend of mine.

[​IMG]

This thing wasn't cheap but it was a blast to build. It took us a couple months to search out all the parts and find exactly what he wanted in the build. The objective was to build the lightest most accurate gun we could, with the best parts and pieces we could find at the lowest price possible for those high end pieces.

I don't think I want to reveal the cost just yet but I will tell you that the gun weights only 5 lbs 15 ozs as it is now optics ready without a sling. We have already put 30 rnds down the pipe and it works great, we now have to decide what kind of optic we want.

I'll post a couple more pictures just as soon as I can get my photobucket to work right.

2. LoneOak

Ok, here's some more Pics,
    Can you identify the parts we used?

[​IMG]

A little closer---

[​IMG]

The other side

[​IMG]

And finally for tonight, No prize for knowing the parts but you will get a congrats for your knowledge. I learned a lot building this gun and would like to do it again and again and again!!!!

[​IMG]

3. bulldog 44

bulldog 44 Member

That is a sweet looking rifle. Can't wait to see the pics with optics. Who manufactures that lower I really like the looks of it.

4. LoneOak

It is a matched billet receiver set from F1 Firearms. It is a really nice piece and has some cool features. It comes with the take down pin and pivot pin already installed and the fit and finish is excellent. We got this one at Brownell's and it was just slightly cheaper than what the OEM sells it for.

I may not get to take a picture of it when it gets an optic because it has already gone to its new home. Hopefully he'll bring it back over and let me install it for him and then I get to take a few shots with it.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  5. TITAN308

TITAN308 :) :) :)

Looks like a malfunction waiting to happen outside of anything beyond a static shooting range. Just not my cup of tea. Neat looking tho.

6. LoneOak

It wasn't built to be a toss it in the dirt CQB rifle, it was built to be a super light weight, carry it all day, super accurate, long range, I got you before you saw me type rifle.

So far we know we got the light weight at 5lb 14 oz and it should be super accurate with the 18" Proof Research Carbon Fiber wrapped Stainless Steel barrel chambered in .223 Wylde with a 1 in 8 twist. We will find out soon, just as soon as he can afford to get an optic, and we will let you know how well it works. So far break in shots and function have been flawless:)

7. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

I like this! There is something to be said for lightweight and I don't mind perception of snappy recoil if it sheds weight

8. LoneOak

Recoil is very manageable and extremely light with an 18" barrel, rifle length gas system and an H-3 buffer.

9. Scout706

Scout706 Well-Known Member

I'd like to see a video of two or three shots. See where all the smoke ends up.

10. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

Probably could have shaved at least another 10 to 12 oz. with a lightweight/pencil profile 14.5" barrel and then pinned the flash hider. DD's pencil profile barrels have superb accuracy.

Your build is pretty cool as is though.

11. mark5019

mark5019 what me worry?

It's sick love it

12. LoneOak

For some reason (Accuracy) my friend wanted the highest quality barrel he could find and he wanted the 18" length. I haven't seen any articles or ratings that rate the Proof Research carbon Fiber wrapped Stainless Barrel as anything but the best most accurate barrel currently being offered. We tried to save weight with most everything else we bought. We could have saved even a little more with a different buttstock and pistol grip but sometimes comfort is more important. The super lite buttstocks just don't meet the length and fit required to shoot comfortably and its hard to beat a BCM grip just because they work.

13. Blake

Blake Member

That thing is wild. I bet you can only shoot a few rounds before that chicken wire hand guard is too hot to handle though!

Is there no issue with getting trash/gas blowback in the face since the bolt is essentially wide open as soon as the lugs disengage?

That's a lot to sacrifice just to make a very lightweight carbine even lighter, but I appreciate the creativity.

14. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

I'll agree with everyone else and say it's pretty! :love:

But come on. Super light weight? My Colt 20" with quad rail & Knights irons weighs just under 8 lbs. We're talking 2 lbs difference here. And at what cost? With my Vortex mounted I'm at just under 10 lbs. Hardly an unmanageable weight either.

I can understand the desire of some to invest in a piece of art and some "cool factor" but let's not fool ourselves into believing they're fighting rifles.

15. LoneOak

I guarantee you that the Brigand Arms Hand Guard is not made of chicken wire. It is a carbon fiber weave that is extremely strong and dissipates heat extremely well. Click the link and read the specs on it, you may be impressed.

I described the gun as Light Weight but I don't think I ever said it was Super Light Weight. I never said it was a fighting rifle either but if that is what you want to call it, I guess that is ok.

16. Blake

Blake Member

I didn't mean literal chicken wire, I said it because that's what it looks like.

Seriously though, I'd like to hear how it shoots between the heat of the barrel/gas tube and the escaping gases out of the upper. The gases that blast out and get in your eyes are the reason I don't like AKs. I'm curious how bad it is on that skeletonized AR upper.

17. LoneOak

I'll try to get a video of us shooting it just as soon as we get to take it to a proper range and not the woods behind my house. I shot 10 of the 30 rnds through it so far and I didn't notice any junk blowing in my face but I wasn't necessarily looking for that either. I did notice that a 5 rnd group of brass fell in about a 1 ft square area.

18. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

See post #6. Regardless, I just don't see the trend to building ever lighter AR15-type guns. Saw an ad on ar15.com yesterday for a sub-5 lb rifle. Isn't that what slings are for? But I'll never stop anyone from spending his hard earned money on building one out of titanium and unobtanium parts. There's something to be said for works of art that go "bang!" :righton:

19. LoneOak