Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
These institutions are responsible for the safety of their campuses...
Well, I wonder if Helmke has been cleared to state policy for the schools.

·
Registered
997 Posts
so basically they are saying college kids are stupid and can't be trusted...

the college kids I have met that carry are more responsible than their non carrying peers (and yes I think Ramm is a good example of this)

I am not much older than college kids and I greatly take offense to many of the statements they make.

as far as suicides are concerned... if someone wants to do it they will do it no matter what. The fact that a gun is there is immaterial. If there is no gun available they will just OD, hang themselves, or bleed out from a knife cut.

I would like to see the stats they have on guns influencing binge drinking. I think carrying decreases alcohol consumption since most folks I know won't drink when they carry.

Guess I can sum it up by saying ARGH!

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
glockgirl said:
so basically they are saying college kids are stupid and can't be trusted...

the college kids I have met that carry are more responsible than their non carrying peers (and yes I think Ramm is a good example of this)

I am not much older than college kids and I greatly take offense to many of the statements they make.

as far as suicides are concerned... if someone wants to do it they will do it no matter what. The fact that a gun is there is immaterial. If there is no gun available they will just OD, hang themselves, or bleed out from a knife cut.

I would like to see the stats they have on guns influencing binge drinking. I think carrying decreases alcohol consumption since most folks I know won't drink when they carry.

Guess I can sum it up by saying ARGH!
+1

·
Super Moderator
69,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
" . . . college gun owners are more likely than other students to binge drink, need a drink first thing in the morning, use cocaine or crack, be arrested for a DUI, vandalize property, and get in trouble with the police."

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
" . . . college gun owners are more likely than other students to binge drink, need a drink first thing in the morning, use cocaine or crack, be arrested for a DUI, vandalize property, and get in trouble with the police."
Where do they get those numbers??? :roll:

·
Super Moderator
69,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Footnotes 58 and 63 appear to contain the sources supporting these claims, if any bright college students are motivated to check up on the Brady Center's research skills.

You will note that FN 63 tarnishes gun owners as a whole (not just college students) over the general population.

·
Super Moderator
69,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Interesting comment over at the High Road.

All the things they mention happen at near double (or more) the rate in men than women. Who owns guns a 3X the rate of women? Men. So compared to the whole population of students there may appear to be a correlation. Maybe. But I doubt it.
I wonder if they normed for sex?

·
Romans 10:13
4,653 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
You will note that FN 63 tarnishes gun owners as a whole (not just college students) over the general population.
Now that is just hard to believe in this day and time. :roll:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts