Brady exempt

Discussion in 'GWL News & Information' started by ber950, Jun 22, 2006.

1. ber950

ber950 Active Member

2. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Lets see if you still feel that way after waiting six months for your renewal :cry:

3. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Or maybe the Judge will read some of your posts and decide you do not have a clear moral charactor. :oops:

4. EagleEye920

EagleEye920 Member

=D>

That's good stuff.

Why would that be only for permits ISSUED after 7/1/06????? because of how the process them???

My wife still hasn't gotten hers, (almost 5 months) and my renewal hasn't come yet (4 weeks). If it's only for permits ISSUED after 7/1/06, I hope they wait another couple weeks ;) (never thought I'd say that)

maybe it's when you APPLY and they do the background check.

NEED MORE INFO!! :?:

5. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

:(

Uh-oh. I've been bad.

6. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Well, my last post does have beer in it.

iwb32, I do not think that is only for licenses issued after that date. I think that the license (yours, mine, everybodies) will work to exempt us from the NICS check after that date.

This is really good, since the Probate Courts have been telling us that a NICS check takes 4 months!

7. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Beer? I thought it was a frosty mug of ice cold root beer.

I'm sure MP is correct. If your GFL issue date is 7/1/06 or later, you are good to go.

It wouldn't make much sense (I know, it's the BATFE, but still) to say that on 6/30, the license was not issued under conditions that satisfy federal law, but that same license was issued under such conditions the next day. The only thing anyone would be able to go on is the issue date stated on the license.

Unless your friendly probate judge is inclined to issue you a new one before your old one was set to expire, I think you'll just have to wait.

8. Malum Prohibitum

No, I am saying that I think your current license, issued prior to July 1, will be fine (so, you really meant to say I was incorrect). You must recall the reason that the Georgia license was removed from the approved list in the first place, which did not have to do with issuance or the procedure under which it was issued . . .

9. ber950

ber950 Active Member

MP I am afraid you are incorrect. One of the ATF issues was that Brady background checks were not required on renewals in the old system. Most if not all counties did them but they were not required.

10. EagleEye920

EagleEye920 Member

OK,

Either way, I have a question. I've only personally bought a couple of firearms. both times, I filled out the 4473 and they did the NICS then gave me the gun.

I'm under the assumption that the 4473 form get's trashed after 24 hours (or something like that)

does this now mean that only the gun store will have a record of me purchasing a gun and not the ATF since they don't do the background check.

11. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

:oops:

I stand corrected. MP correctly advises that I was incorrect when I said he was correct. I would have been correct if I had said he was incorrect.

:?

MP, I'm confused, though, on your final statement. The GBI told me that the reason the GFL was removed from the "special" list was because someone got around to reading the GA statute and determined that, because the statute did not explicitly require denying a license to an applicant with a federal prohibitor, the GFL no longer should qualify. So, my understanding is that it had everything to do with the issuing procedure.

What's yours?

12. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

IWB32, I've never concentrated on the FFL side of a transaction (mostly because I've never had an FFL and consequently didn't have to worry about it). But, my understanding is that the FFL keeps the 4473 in his records for quite some time (i.e., years). It never goes to the BATFE. But, if a gun is used in a crime or otherwise is subject to an investigation, the BATFE may contact the FFL to get information about the transaction (e.g., name and address of the buyer). I don't know what the process is for the BATFE to get the information from the form, or the form itself. If anyone on here is or used to be an FFL, he or she may be able to correct me where I'm wrong or provide more details.

13. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

I had my FFL back in the 80's and at that time the only time BATF would see a dealers records was if there were an investigation or if the business closed.

14. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

USMCR, did they have to have a warrant or subpoena, or did you have to produce the records on demand?

15. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

NICS exemption still means you fill out paperwork and the Dealer keeps it on file. The government will not know about the purchase unless it goes to the dealer and asks to see the paperwork (or you buy more than one handgun at a time).

16. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

BATF can show up at a dealers place of business at any time and check records, no warrent required.

17. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

The ATF has "changed its mind" before. However some of those listed say
    While Georgia's and a few others say something like
    It looks like all licenses will be exempt, though the ATF has yet to post it's open letter to Georgia FFL's saying so. That will be where to find out for sure. http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/bradylaw/

18. Malum Prohibitum

Zing! :D

So, what you really mean is you were incorrect to say I was correct and incorrect to say I was incorrect, too . . . um, I think.

19. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

:?
    I have no idea.