Bought a Plinker! RANGE REPORT ADDED!

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Adam5, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Since everyone needs a .22 Plinker and my 14 year old daughter was a little upset that I don't have one right now, I picked one up yesterday.

It's a Remington 597 with a Remington branded (who knows who really makes it) 3-9X32 scope. It came with a 10 round mag, but I found factory 30 rounders for $15 each that I will order soon. I also want to add a bipod to it. It does not have sling studs to attack the bipod to, but it does have a reinforced area in the from of stock to attach a screw in stud.

Does anyone know a local source for screw in sling studs? I can order them online, but I hate to pay more for shipping than a part costs. If I can't find one locally I'll get it when I order the 30 round mags.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. samman23

samman23 New Member

Re: Bought a Plinker!

I think I've seen the sling studs at walmart before. but since you're in Cumming, I'd be surprised if Bullseye did not have them.
    Congrats on the nice gun. :righton:

3. Quest50

Quest50 Active Member

Congrats on the plinker!

4. martin_j001

martin_j001 Active Member

Nice, congrats! Need to find me a cheap 22 rifle as well...so much fun to shoot.

5. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I hear good things about the Rem 597.
    Unless you're planning on modifying the heck out of it, it seems to be a better "out of the box" plinker than the Ruger 10/22 and costs a lot less.

P.S. Now, consider using it in the .22 Rifle postal match, or the .22 league that meets up at Hi-Caliber range.

6. MLS 4506

MLS 4506 Active Member

don't waste your money on the 30 round mags,they are not reliable,as to the rifle they are very accurate and the trigger is good on the one i bought for my grandson.the original 10 round mags had issues but i think the current generation (4th i believe)work ok.good luck with it.you might check rimfirecentral.com for some more info :wink:

7. 175FO

175FO Member

I don't know about it being a better plinker than the 10/22 although certainly cheaper. I bought a 597 a few years ago for the same reason, and it is a decent gun, but I do get plenty of Failure to Feed/ Failure to Eject malfunctions, of course that is common with rimfire anyway. I used to own a Marlin semi-auto .22 that I liked much more than the Remington.

8. RevolverDan

RevolverDan Active Member

Be careful standing in chairs to take photos. We've be OK if you just laid it on the floor. :lol:

9. STONEWALL0628

STONEWALL0628 New Member

:lol: :lol:

10. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

That would be too easy!! :lol:

11. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I took it to the range today and ran about 150 rounds through it. It ran 99.9% with Federal bulk pack and Winchester '333' bulk pack. I did have one round jam in the mag after I was done and decided to just dump a mag as fast as I could.

My groups were tighter with the Winchester than the Federal. I'm not too good with a rifle, but this thing made me look good. The picture below is 10 rounds at 25 yards with the scope set on 5x power. I was seated with a short stack of 2x4s supporting the from of the stock.

It's definately a MOCC (minute of Coke can) shooter!

[​IMG]

12. ET.

ET. Active Member

Good looking 22LR plinker there. I bought a little Western Auto Revelation 22 (Marlin 780) back in 1967 for $39.00 NIB at my local Western Auto store. I was 12 then. I have shot thousands of rounds thru it over the years and it's still going strong. Everyone does need a 22 in the closet along with a 12 gauge. It's easy to stock the ammo for both and there will always be a need for them no matter what happens in this country. The AR's and the M4's are nice if you can afford them (& if you can talk your wife into letting you have them!) but a 22 is mandatory!!!!!

13. Neener Neener

Neener Neener New Member

Bass Pro has the studs, as does Wal-Mart.

14. vanguard

vanguard New Member

i would rate the 10/22 # 1
    the marlin model 60 # 2
    the remington 597 # 3
    the 597 if not clean will jam, it has a two rail slide system which is a little hard to clean.

15. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I have run mine semi dirty (a few hundred rounds without cleaning) with no issues. The biggest issue with jamming is from people over tightening the rails. The should be no more than finger tight. If you over tighten them the bolt will bind up.

I don't remove mine for cleaning. I just spray them with a little Gun Scrubber, work the bolt back and forth a few times, let it sit a minute or two to for the cleaner to evaporate, them spray a little CLP on them.