Bought a Kel Tec P3AT this weekend.......

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Doc Holliday, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

I picked it up at Gables in D-Ville for $269. It is OD green with the hard chrome finish.

I took it to the indoor range in D-Ville. I put 90 rounds through it. I had 3 failures to feed and 1 stovepipe. It has decent combat accuracy at 7 yards. It kicks like a little mule and I have a blister between my thumb and index finger. I took it home, disappointed with the performance. I cleaned and lubricated it. I hope that will correct the feed problems. I am going to take back to the range next week and force myself to put another 100 rounds through it to see if I can get it broke in. If the feed problems continue I will try to Fluff and Buff it or just send it back to Kel Tec.

I do like the size of pistol. Now I have no excuse not to have a pistol on me at home. I bought a cheap Uncle Mike's pocket holster that keeps it secure in my front pocket. I just hope I can get the hiccups stopped on what could be a great pistol.

2. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Cool. What caliber is that in?

3. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

Aint all the P3AT's in .380?

4. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

Yep, it is a .380. I think it only weighs 8 ounces or so.

5. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

6. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

Don't tell me they did that on purpose!

7. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

I guess that Kel Tec devised that so it wouldn't be confused with the P-380 from Raven, or Jennings or one of those other "el cheapo" companies that I can't remember.

8. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

Yep, I'm afraid so.......

9. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

They say you need to run about 200 rounds through it to break it in and consider it reliable.

10. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

i heard the 3AT and the P32 both need some fluffing and buffing to be tip top.

I know a cop that has a p32 in his BUG stable and said he has never had a failure of any sort.

I thought about the .380 but the rangemaster here in athens said the .32 was more reliable.

11. Mastino177

Mastino177 Member

Although the most reliable is my S&W 642, I wouldn't mind picking one of these guys up. I'm only hesitant because of the reliablity issues...the gun does me not one bit of good if there is history of jamming, etc and always needing a buffing or at Kel-Tec.

12. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

2nd generation P3AT here. No reliability issues.