Bought a Kel Tec P-3AT yesterday.

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by thebugman, Dec 12, 2005.

1. thebugman

thebugman New Member

I am looking forward to taking it up to the range in a little while. I have 100 rounds and plan on using them all.

Anyone have a favorite brand of ammo?

What method of carry? I know a lot choose to use a pocket holster, but I am not so sure I would like that. I have pretty thick legs, so anything in my pockets tends to show. I am going to shop around for a IWB, that allows tucking in.

What's the legal methods of concealed carry? Any problem using an ankle holster in GA?

2. golfgod

golfgod New Member

Ankle holsters, for some strange reason, are illegal in GA unless you are a LEO.

3. Wiley

Wiley New Member

Golfgod:

While at one point you were correct, I would suggest that it is now incorrect, unless you can cite the code section.

Currently OCGA 16-11-126(c) says [see bold text]:

(c) This Code section shall not permit, outside of his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business, the concealed carrying of a pistol, revolver, or concealable firearm by any person unless that person has on his or her person a valid license issued under Code Section 16-11-129 and the pistol, revolver, or firearm may only be carried in a shoulder holster, waist belt holster, any other holster, hipgrip, or any other similar device, in which event the weapon may be concealed by the person´s clothing, or a handbag, purse, attache case, briefcase, or other closed container. Carrying on the person in a concealed manner other than as provided in this subsection shall not be permitted and shall be a violation of this Code section.

4. golfgod

golfgod New Member

I was hoping I was wrong. However, I was talking to a SWAT officer who thought they were legal as well. But, when he was at a firearms store, the owner saw his ankle hoster and said "I guess you're a LEO". When the SWAT guy asked why, he said that only LEO's can carry ankle holsters in GA. He checked with his captain and said that yes, that was true. I truly hope that I and his captain are wrong, since I'm a boot wearer and that's the best way to carry for me!

5. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

They are wrong. Wiley provided the official code. I'll bet the only source any of them have is "I was told...".

The law says you have to have your gun in a holster or similar device. It does not limit you to where you place that holster on your body. Put it in your pocket, around your ankle, waist, whatever your want or need.

6. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

That is a common belief among law enforcement, but I believe they are wrong as well. Wiley provided the applicable law.

7. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

New Law

The "new" statute, last amended on this issue in 1996, was changed to allow any other holster. The prior language only talked about "waist belt or shoulder" holsters, which seemed to exclude ankle holsters, Smartcarry, Thunderwear, and many other legitimate carry options.

By the way, 1996 was also the year that the legislature amended the gun carry law to specifically authorize CONCEALED carry, putting to rest the odd notion that Attorney General Mike Bowers had that the only kind of "concealment" allowed in Georgia was that which came as a direct result of using your holster or closed container, but adding additional concealment over the holster was forbidden. That was a silly idea and we're all better off that it's gone.

8. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Well, at least they would have been correct 10 years ago.

9. chainshaw

chainshaw New Member

I prefer pocket carry for a Kel-Tec. The cheap Uncle Mikes pocket holsters make it disappear in your front pocket. Also, if you haven't done so, get the finger extensions for the mags. You can buy them from the Bersa website for just a couple of bucks each. The Bersa extensions look better and are cheaper than the Kel-Tec extensions. They will make the gun MUCH more manageable and accurate. It also eliminates limp wristing and stove-piping.

10. thebugman

thebugman New Member

I have seen others mention that on the Kel Tec forum. I will look into the Bersa Extension. I got a $15 pocket holster made from Kydex. Not as pretty as the leather, but really thin.

11. Malum Prohibitum

Anybody see the new 9 mm pocket gun due for release in a couple of months? It is on their web site in the news section.

12. thebugman

thebugman New Member

I am going to check out the stats side by side. I looked at it briefly yesterday. I wonder how much more difficult it would be to shoot.

13. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I am thinking of getting one with my tax refund.

14. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I am no longer thinking about it. Purchased it at lunch today.

15. artz

artz New Member

Re: New Law

:shock: whew ! got a lil' scared for the moment !!!

----------------------
    I almost jumped on the kel-tec myself but wanted a .380 but they were tough to find.
    Opted for a all-steel beauty. Colt's lil' mustang.... 8)

16. thebugman

thebugman New Member

So did you get the P3-AT? Congratulations either way.

17. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Yeah, been looking around the net at various holsters and clips, a mag extender (for my pinky finger), and a grip laser.

And talk about low profile sights. I am going to have to add either a laser or a dot on the front sight to be able to aim the little thing.

Going to go shoot it tomorrow.

18. wwwilljr

wwwilljr New Member

I've had my P3AT for about 2 yrs now. When I do carry it, I use the belt clip that mounts on the side. I wear it tucked in just above my wallet. You can pull it very easily and quickly with a little practice. It's almost invisible even wearing just a t-shirt tucked in loosely in the summer. My only concern is tucking or pulling my shirt out with the exposed trigger. Ive never had any problems with that, but I am very conscious of possibility of snagging.

19. Malum Prohibitum

The 9mm will not be out until May.

I have a P3AT, too. Neat little gun.

20. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Well, let me say that the suggestion of not taking the firearm any further apart is a good idea. #-o

For those not as inclined, the pin holding the spring at the base of the grip has to be removed. Not easy to remove, even more fun putting it back.