Bots and the forum

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Firearmz, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Firearmz

Firearmz New Member

I have a forum using the same host, what do you do about Bots and spam registering. I have to continuously delete these things. Are you running something that prevents them from registering or do you suffer the same headache? They do not get automatically activated on mine but it is still a pain in the rear.

2. gtmatt

gtmatt Member

They have a mod that adds a question to the registration process. It's nonstandard, so bots can't automatically input the right answer, so they cannot complete the registration. There are several forum mods that do this, one of which is called "Textual Confirmation" (I use a modified version of this one on a website I run). You should be able to find them at phpBB's website.

Matt

3. Wiley

Wiley New Member

The other soloution is a requirement that a new member must make atleast one post to validate their registration. Set up a 'new member first post' topic.

Then on your normal maintenance schedule run a script that deletes users whose post count is not >0 prior to the previous run.

4. asbrand

asbrand Active Member

I also use this software for another forum I host. I had the same problem until I added the "textual confirmation" mod. Since then, I went from 10 to 15 spammers a day, to ZERO.

5. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

We use this software at Shooters' Legacy, and we have been having a major battle with them. We are working on a software upgrade so that we can strengthen the registration process.

6. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

the best mod I have found is Anti Bot Question Mod

The visusal confirmation that is a part of the forum software being on slowed them for a little while.

After the Anti bot question mod I have had 2 spammers in about 6 months, and those seemed to be real people and not bots.

7. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

Any kind of CAPTCHA test will work.

I admin an IPB board and since we put in a CAPTCHA mod, the spambots have gone from about 30 a day to none.

Of course, you have to override it for the Google spiders in order to get Google traffic, but that's not hard and some even have built-in Googlespider recognition that bypasses the test.