Boot knives?

Discussion in 'How to' started by Schweisshund, May 18, 2017.

1. Schweisshund

Schweisshund Well-Known Member

I am currently in training with a CDL company (Just got my CDL license in April) and this company does not allow firearms in the truck. The main reason is the State reciprocity (we travel nationwide). However, knives and blunt objects are ok.

My trainer went over all of this with me (my first week I drove from Denver to Detroit, from Detroit to Houston, from Houston back to Denver - over 3k miles). He told me that out of the 42 years he has been driving trucks, he was mugged once - and it was in Houston. All the thieves got was $2.34 (he doesn't carry cash). He has been carrying knives ever since.

So, this got me thinking - he was grabbed from behind and couldn't move his arms. I want a pair of boots (yes, like the ones in the Dark Knight) that has a spring loaded blade that protrudes from the toe, as well as the heel. If I am pinned from behind, a blade that comes out from the heel can easily find its way into the perpetrators shin.

Where can I find such a contraption? Does any manufacturer make them?

2. GeorgiaHybrid

GeorgiaHybrid Member

Check with "Q". His group makes all of the cool toys for 007.:)

3. AzB

AzB Well-Known Member

There is a pretty basic move in almost any martial arts training that covers getting grabbed from behind. You don't need a knife, you need a well placed hard kick to the shin or the instep. It will make people let go of you. Practice that, and you won't need fancy knife blades in your boots.

Also keep in mind that some places have pretty strict rules about knives as well, if you're interested in being legal.

4. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

You still need to carry.

Nemo

5. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

And then what? What happens after he lets go? Do you both just stand there and stare at each other? What if he's armed?

Yes, martial arts. I love martial arts. I hold Sandan rank in Uechi Ryu. The problem with "pretty basic moves" is that they can cause unwanted reflexive actions on the part of the perp holding you. If the perp is armed with any type of weapon, your body may not appreciate any of those reflexive actions.

You need to end the event right then, decisively. Firearms may be out for the OP but there are other options. Knuckles. Push knives. Kubotan keychains.

6. Schweisshund

So far, my trainer has told me to keep a knife within reach at all times.

7. AzB

AzB Well-Known Member

A knife built into your shoe is of very limited use... really only one use. The aforementioned martial arts move is simply to break free, where you could then employ an actual knife, crowbar, hurtful insults, or whatever weapon of choice is available in whatever fashion you prefer.

8. moe mensale

I don't know about the rest of you but I was sure hoping Schweisshund was just having a James Bond moment with his comment.

9. moe mensale

Hurtful insults are excellent! I think they are second only to righteous indignation. :lol:

10. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

What I've heard from a couple truckers, is to get used to carrying a small hand-held fire extinguisher. In case of a crash it's handy to fight fires. In case of other trouble it makes a good way to create distance,..... and a fairly decent head knocker as well.

11. mrhutch

mrhutch Well-Known Member

The tire thumpers they sell at truck stops aren't just for thumping tires. They're also a "tool" and 50 state legal with no permit concerns.

12. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

When my grandma had her RV that was the only thing she could keep with her for SD as they would frequently decide Alaska was calling. The Canadians did not bat an eye at one hanging by the door.

13. Scout706

Scout706 Well-Known Member

This many comments and no one has said it, so I will: Worked for Rosa Klebb, but her blade was poisoned. Yes, I'm old. It was in the book, and the movie, From Russia With Love.

14. Schweisshund

WTH? There is no way I would do anything even remotely close to that sissy!!

I want to be BATMAN!

15. Schweisshund

I don't have a lot of time to to check in the site - I have driven 5,800 miles in 2 and 1/2 weeks. I went from snowy conditions in Denver, down to 110 degree weather in Tucson. I narrowly missed all those tornadoes in Kansas and North Texas. I am getting some of the best training in the world, and my trainer looks exactly like Robin Williams, even has the same sense of humor.

16. TimBob

TimBob Old, Slow, Boring Dude

Expandable baton? Oak walking cane?

17. MesaCranker

MesaCranker Active Member

This. What the boss doesn't know won't hurt em. And I'd rather be alive and unemployed than dead and play by the rules.

18. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

be reasonable

Truckers carry knives. Usually little folding knives with a 3" blade.
    They're probably illegal in many jurisdictions, but nobody really cares if you're not causing trouble.
    If you go around with knives stuck in your boots, cops won't overlook that. If they find out about it in any circumstances other than a 100% righteous self-defense incident, expect to be arrested and charged.
    In a situation where the "bad guy" says he was just trying borrow five bucks and you over-reacted and attacked him, having knife blades sticking out of your boots will make you look crazy, and the cops are more likely to believe the other guy.

Appearances matter.

That "blunt object" your CDL driving instructor says is OK? He means a tire thumper. Or a regular hammer. (Works just fine for thumping tires.)
    He doesn't mean a medieval mace, or Thor's hammer.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  19. Circuits

Circuits Member

Tire thumper? How about a 3 or 4 D cell Maglite!

20. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

How about a Charter Arms Mag Pug. The brick or bat is good for bad guy #1. But what about #2 and/or #3?

Nemo