Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE7 ... 1132898:z0

The 787 is not merely a historic feat of engineering. The program also marks Boeing's departure from its own time-honored manufacturing practices.

Instead of drawing primarily from its traditional pool of aircraft engineers, mechanics and laborers that runs generations deep in the Puget Sound region around Seattle, Boeing leads an international team of suppliers and engineers from the United States, Japan, Italy, Australia, France and elsewhere, who make components that Boeing workers in the United States put together.

·
Registered
563 Posts
AV8R said:
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE70J2UX20110120?loomia_ow=t0:s0:a49:g43:r1:c0.164006:b41132898:z0

The 787 is not merely a historic feat of engineering. The program also marks Boeing's departure from its own time-honored manufacturing practices.

Instead of drawing primarily from its traditional pool of aircraft engineers, mechanics and laborers that runs generations deep in the Puget Sound region around Seattle, Boeing leads an international team of suppliers and engineers from the United States, Japan, Italy, Australia, France and elsewhere, who make components that Boeing workers in the United States put together.
I didn't read the entire article, but I think this has been a big embarrassment for Boeing. Costing them millions as well.

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
How long before Boeing builds all of it's planes in China? My guess?.........five years.

ETA: Elect Donald Trump!

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
The Donald is as anti-gun as bloomberg.... :x

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
Donald may be for free markets and capitalism, but he is an anti-gun POS.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,110 Posts
China's president just told Obama that China will buy 200 or so of Boeing's passenger jets.

I'll bet anything that they are buying them to study and dissect them (at least some of them) and to use as models for their own domestic copies that they will roll-out in a few years.

Everybody got so excited 20 years ago when China was building modern cities from the rice paddies, and blasting hills away to make shopping centers. We will sell them Caterpillar earth-movers! All their buildings will have Otis elevators! They'll do landscaping with John Deere tractors! Yeah--- they did for a few years. Until they could replace everything American with everything made in China.

·
Junior Butt Warmer
46,427 Posts
YZ#58 said:
...I think this has been a big embarrassment for Boeing. Costing them millions as well.
Add a few more zeroes.

The program that produced these unfinished 787s is nearly three years behind schedule and, by some estimates, at least several billion dollars over budget.
How's that outsourcing thing working out for ya', huh? Saving lots of money are we?

"One of the things you don't want to outsource is your core competencies," said Karen Kurek...
"...quality of work is an unquantified intangible..."

Plane-making is best done by a group of engineers and builders working in close proximity without the distractions of language barriers, cultural differences and bureaucracy, said Tom McCarty...
"...unquantified intangibles which have no bearing on the bottom line..."

"As we outsource part of this work, we're removing opportunities for learning this trade, for learning these skills," he said. "As we reduce these opportunities to learn how to do these jobs, the Boeing Company becomes less capable to do the job."
"...sounds like you have a bad attitude..."

But three years of delays speaks for itself, he said. The vast global partnership was meant to share risk and cut costs. The opposite is happening, he said.
Funny thing that, huh?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts