blood thinners and bruising

Discussion in 'Holsters / Method of Carry' started by thegoodguy, Jun 10, 2016.

1. thegoodguy

thegoodguy Member

i am now on blood thinners due to blood clots in my lungs. ive been treated and released from the hospital and doing great.
    im now dealing with bruising when trying to carry my guns,be it a sd9 40 open, or a ruger sp 101 in my front pocket.
    ive had to resort to a ruger lcp 380 ,in my front pocket without a holster.
    my iwb or owb holsters press against my midsection, and cause bruising.

anybody got any helpful suggestions, or have dealt with this?

2. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

I wonder if you should talk to your doctor maybe your dose is higher than it needs to be?

3. Solomon_G

Solomon_G New Member

I do know that bruising under the skin can be dangerous on thinner meds...and if your going to continually carry and keep bruising the same place...you may want to figure something else out.

Some people are prone to more bruising than others...but the kind of meds you take can effect that also, possible your dr can lower your dose or have you try a different kind.

4. Solomon_G

Solomon_G New Member

Not sure what you use to carry iwb now but you might try a Remora...they are pretty soft against the skin.

5. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

I do 75 mg of Clopidogrel (plavix) daily. I bleed like a double stuck pig if scratched and bruise easily.

But I have had not problem with aliengear or OWB holsters. Try a good paddle or pancake for OWB Open carry or alien gear for concealed.

Nemo

6. thegoodguy

thegoodguy Member

thanks for the responses,
    i went to my family doc, and blood work checks out good. we discussed this, and he is a gun guy himself,so that helps.
    we kind of determined the problem is mostly from when im seated in my cars,pushing more pressure on my gun amd sides.
    short term solution, ill remove pistol from holster while sitting and driving, and conceal when i get to where im going.
    ill also look into a better holster as well.

thanks, ken

7. Scout706

Scout706 Well-Known Member

For cooler weather, consider a shoulder holster. Not Georgia practical, I know. but who doesn't want to be like James Bond?

8. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Try an OWB leather pancake holster. You can still conceal it with an unbuttoned shirt. You don't have to stuff a pistol inside your waistband.

That's not comfortable for me, and I'm not on blood thinners.

Edit: Oh, that's what Nemo already suggested. :lol:

9. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Once again, just a fair bit ahead of you Phil.

Nemo