Blocking Devices On Wireless Network

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Phil1979, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Well, I used ALL of the rule options, IP address, MAC address, ACL, blah blah blah on my router. All useless.

Is there a free software application out there that will let me block a client (inside my home) from using the Internet. It gets old always changing the password to turn off someone's Internet access from time to time.

2. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

Any particular reason the solutions you mentioned didn't work?

3. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Whoever he is trying to outsmart is outsmarting him?

Nemo

4. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

Why do they have the password?

If they are changing MAC to defeat you, there isn't much you can do besides deny access (password). If they aren't, why is a mac filter not working? I would also add a DHCP reservation for their mac and set it to issue a blocked IP.

That said, I need more info to help. Feel free to PM if you like.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

They don't have the password - I just enter it on my child's Internet device.

Anyway, I found a solution that works. Basically had to create a myDlink account on my Router maker's website, and from there was able to block the device.

6. Taurus92

Taurus92 Well-Known Member

I don't understand why the other options didn't work. Unless the device is a phone, which would switch to cellular data. Or they have a phone and created a hotspot or use tethering.

7. AtlPhilip

This. If they aren't capable of changing their mac, a dhcp reservation and an IP block work fine.

Still need more info. What are you trying to prevent specifically?

8. Groundhound

Groundhound Active Member

Dlink can control access to your WiFi from their end that you can't do from the router's local web interface (MAC restrictions, user scheduling, etc)?

9. smn

smn Active Member

At my house I use a FreeBSD computer with multiple nics. One nic for the cable modem and the other for the wireless devices. All wireless traffic must go through this FreeBSD computer so it can function like a chokepoint.

The computer acts as a DHCP server and NAT router but I've also configured it in a way to assign certain devices to bandwidth queues. So if my kids aren't doing their chores fast enough I throttle their bandwidth down to near nothing, but just enough to stay on the network but they can't run their games or videos.

This setup has worked for me, and was very effective when I warned my son he had to vacuum his room by a certain time. When that time had come and gone his gaming capability effectively stopped. I watched him come out of his room, open a closet door, and retrieve the vacuum, and he started his vacuuming. When he was done he asked me if I could speed up his internet again.

You could probably make a similar setup with any variety of Linux or *BSD, it's not too difficult.

10. Mstr-Chris

Mstr-Chris Well-Known Member

pfSense has this ability and it's easy to set up on an old PC with a couple NIC's. Very little learning curve. I have a Netgate device as a dedicated firewall running pfSense.

... and it's FREE!

11. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

DD-WRT is an open source replacement firmware for commercial firewall/routers. Keep your device but disconnect from the manufacturer.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  12. AtlPhilip

Love dd-wrt...