Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Swollen Member
11,969 Posts
I HAVE A CCW, CAN I CARRY?
Concealed carry is prohibited at Cobb Galleria. Under no circumstances will guns be allowed in the Cobb Galleria under their no weapons policy. Knives are only allowed in if an attendee will be showing it to an exhibitor, and you must disclose that information up front. No weapons may be carried in concealed.

·
Swollen Member
11,969 Posts
Sounds like they wish that was the law.

·
American
3,289 Posts
Private property. Lots of problems with gang bangers. Concealed means concealed in my book.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I was planning on attending with my son, but guess not. Maybe they can select a better venue next year, however I know it has been at the same location in past years.

·
Super Moderator
7,141 Posts
Concealed is concealed...

I go every year...

·
Deplorable bitter clinger.
5,695 Posts
That is interesting that the Cobb Galleria is a government building. Is that right? Didn't we just have a GeorgiaCarry.org convention last year at the Renaissance Waverly, and couldn't we walk around the Galleria carrying? I know I carried all over the Galleria in 2016's convention.

·
Swollen Member
11,969 Posts
If the event organizers wish hard enough, maybe it comes true.

·
American
3,289 Posts
Funny that Cobb has turned a private venue into a public building. What government activities are housed there? Also funny that the World Congress Center which has its own police force and is a government building (and was from conception) knows that they can't restrict access unless they actively screen and mostly they don't. Gotta hate Cobb Government.

·
5,695 Posts
I call BS. What government agency operates out of the Galleria? It may be government owned, but that doesn't mean it is a government building. If it IS a government building, they must screen all access points for carry of firearms, in my opinion. I am sure they aren't, they just have their security and LE wandering around looking for people carrying.

Conceal and carry on.

Reactions: Archangel

·
American
3,289 Posts
The Galleria conference center was government from the beginning but the rest has been acquired over time, thereby expanding their authority. I point to WCC as an example of a real authority with its own Police Department that actually follows the law. When Trump spoke at last years NRA they screened one building but the rest of the facility remained open to carry. When Trump and the SS were gone, that building reverted to being open to carry.

The vague statement by the Cobb Authority that the Manager decides what is screening and which activities are screened is just more Cobb Government BS. This clearly points to a need for clarification under OCGA of what is actual "screening". It seems that some of these authoritarian bureaucrats believe that anything they want to do and call screening is screening. Sort of like the Humpty Dumpty.... “When I use a word,’ Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, ‘it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.’

Reactions: DonT

·
Super Moderator
7,141 Posts
I open carried at every GCO convention I attended at the RW an in the Galleria.
We went to eat at Jock and Jills all the time... Never had any issues.

Reactions: TimBob and DonT

·
5,695 Posts
I agree with you, UtiP. But again, I'd like to know what government agency is operating out of the Galleria. If it is the government agency that operates the Galleria, then that is the classic self licking ice cream cone.

·
American
3,289 Posts
I agree with you, UtiP. But again, I'd like to know what government agency is operating out of the Galleria. If it is the government agency that operates the Galleria, then that is the classic self licking ice cream cone.
Apparently Cobb had a legislative fiat passed in 1980 that created a government agency that runs tourism, conventions, etc. that owns the Galleria and has acquired adjacent properties over the years. The Board is made up of elected officials from Marietta, Smyrna, and Cobb governments and life-tenure bureaucrats appointed by those governments. They have appointed the manager as the sole authority over what qualifies as screening and the manager decides which events are "screened".

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
I've known people that have carried (open and concealed) there that have been pulled aside by security and required to take their firearm out to their car. I've never seen them walk someone out carrying a knife. The whole rule is just ridiculous. I will be there for Fiddleback Forge / Fiddleback Outpost and will likely resort to ankle carry to avoid the nonsense.

Be sure to check out the Fiddleback Forge tables (front of the galleria) and the Fiddleback Outpost both (rear of the galleria). There will be a ton of Fiddleback Forge knives at each and Fiddleback Outpost will have other cool bushcrafting gear.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'm going this afternoon.

I've attended the show yearly for the last 20 years & have never had an issue with any sharp edged objects.

The Galleria is a nice venue for this show.

·
Die Hard GCO Recruiter
6,763 Posts
This sounds like another stupid idea from the Cobb BOC, Just like unmanned metal det
ectors.

Reactions: DonT

·
69,784 Posts
That is interesting that the Cobb Galleria is a government building. Is that right? Didn't we just have a GeorgiaCarry.org convention last year at the Renaissance Waverly, and couldn't we walk around the Galleria carrying? I know I carried all over the Galleria in 2016's convention.
Pretty much every year . . .

Reactions: TimBob
1 - 20 of 25 Posts