Blackmail, Need Advice (TRS Recovery Service?)

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Savvy Jack, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Savvy Jack

Savvy Jack Banned

Check to electric company stolen from my mail box. Perp took it to walmart and purchased $600 worth of stuff. Yes, check was made out to my electric company. Wally World accepted it anyway! Security cams have him and he is being searched for.

My bank refunded my money but Walmart sold(?) this debt to TRS Recovery Service out of California. Now they are demanding I pay them or they may not approve my transactions at more than 300,000 merchants who use them national and will still make efforts to collect from me.

I would like to speak with any of our attorney friends on this forum that can help take care of this problem.

2. Savvy Jack

Savvy Jack Banned

SO let me get this straight!

Walmart accepts a personal check made out to another company. Disapproves first drivers licence but accepts a second from the same man....hmmmmm THEN sells the dept to a collection agency after my bank refunds my money. You have got to be kidding me right? Walmart got paid anyway?

3. mathar1

mathar1 New Member

Certified mail them a copy of the police report along with a description of what happened. Along with that put a nice note saying you ARE disputing this and that if they refuse you ANYTHING or report ANYTHING at all you will sue the hell out of them. Make it certified mail so you have a receipt and then sit back and wait to sue. :wink:

4. gruntpain1775

gruntpain1775 New Member

I often wondee why it is legal for collection agencies to do this. Buy a debt them demand the money. If I owe person A $1 and person B gives them $1, to me i still owe person A, not B.

If I were you I would have an attorney send both wm and the collections place a letter saying that if you are denied service for this you will take them to court.

5. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

I can't believe WalMart is asking you to make good on a debt they incurred due to their actions in accepting a check that was not written by you. I'd put good money that they wrote off the debt and it was then taken over by a debt collections agency. Debt collections agencies BUY debts from companies that have given up on collecting the debt (for various reasons). These debts are purchased for pennies on the dollar in hopes that the agency can get Someone to pay the money.

Next time the agency calls, tell them that you're on the way to WalMart with a check in 10 minutes. I'll bet they don't want you to pay WalMart, they want you to pay them. Unless the agency works for WalMart (which I Doubt) they'll say "no, nooo... send the money to us!" Why would you send money to an agency that you had no contractual obligation to?

If you had a valid debt to WalMart, then you'd owe the money to WalMart. I'd tell the collections agency that you demand they never contact you again and ask them for an address to send a "drop dead letter" to. If they still feel that you owe the agency money, then invite them to take you to court.

Oh, and since they are calling you ... the whole "obscene phone call" thing goes right out the window. Every statute I've seen for obscene calls refers to 'making or placing an unsolicited call', and you're not the one calling. If you can keep a straight face, asking bra sizes, opinions on bestiality, 4n4l to mouth sex, threesomes, and things like that can provide tons and tons of fun. Tell them you're lonely and enjoy the opportunity for a little phone-sex that you don't have to pay 1.99 a minute for.

nota bene Do not follow the above advice if you are unsure that there is not a person 14yrs of age or younger in your presence or on the other end of the line.

6. mattjp

mattjp New Member

How can they deny transactions if you pay with cash? Hmmmm. I call BS on them barring you from shopping at certain establishments. I can see them not accepting a personal check from your bank account (You could always close the account and get a new one with a different bank)

Interesting.

I'd fight that till I had no voice left.

+1 for sending a police report and a copy of the video of the BG, a copy of the canceled check (With walmart's little print on the reverse side of it), and a copy of your license (With your personal info blacked out course), AND a copy of the police report.

Then i'd nail the prick to the wall (The BG that is).

7. mattjp

mattjp New Member

LOL!!!

:righton:

8. Fallschirmjäger

" ... or they may not approve my transactions at more than 300,000 merchants who use them national and will still make efforts to collect from me..."
    This, I would call the classic example of "blowing smoke up someone's butt" :lol: :lol:
    1) Stores don't ask collection agencies for approval before the store does business.
    2) A collection agency in California is hardly Equifax, Trans Union or Experian with a nation-wide presence.
    3) As said before, they can't trespass you from a store, only the store can and it's for That store or property.
    4) Cash ... How is some two-bit collections agency going to prevent you from walking in and using cash?

Oh... and the words "TRS scam" returns just over Ninety-two thousand results 8)
    edit: I probably shouldn't reveal this, but I'm 90% certain TRS were the guys that called me for a debt that was beyond the statute of limitations and who I had free phone sex with a few times.

9. gruntpain1775

gruntpain1775 New Member

did the TRS person play along?

10. higabyte

higabyte New Member

Actually, they use a check verification service. So what happens, is you go to pay for your goods, they run your check, it comes back as declined because someone (WM in this case) reported that you wrote a bad check. So anyone that uses that service will deny any future checks from you as well...

11. Fallschirmjäger

No :?
    And I told the first guy that he sounded real cute on the phone too, prolly had a real pretty mouth.
    The second, a woman didn't like my language at all and threatened to bring a supervisor into the call, that was when I asked her about the threesome idea.

Sadly, I haven't gotten another call since that incident. And I have been sooooooo lonely since.

I have experience at ticking people off.

12. Fallschirmjäger

err...WHO wrote a back check, again?
    That could easily expose WalMart to a very expensive and time consuming lawsuit.

13. gruntpain1775

gruntpain1775 New Member

You can be my neighbor anytime. We could probably run off the whole area within a year....

14. higabyte

higabyte New Member

I was referring to the whole bad check no service comments...

Walmart is clearly in the wrong here for accepting a fraud check and ultimately should have to eat the cost. But we all know they aren't going to do that without a figt.

15. hkdave

hkdave New Member

call / email clark howard.

16. BattleSausage

BattleSausage Member

Isn't WM legally responsible for knowingly accepting the check. Even if the check was washed, the person using it clearly couldn't produce proper identification showing they were the account holder, which I thought by law anyone accepting a payment (other than debit card w/ pin) has to verify identity. Thus they are an accessory to the crime. Hell, you could go after WM for the poorly trained staff and list the recovery service threats in the suit. Good luck

17. xls177

xls177 Member

Contact the clark howard show http://clarkhoward.com/

Consumer Action Center:
    Ask Team Clark
    Call 10am-7pm ET
    (404) 892-8227

I bet he will know what you need

18. Savvy Jack

Savvy Jack Banned

Yeah but who has the money to afford an attorney for this action? Debt accusation $600 vs cost of attorney?

19. higabyte

higabyte New Member

Yeah but who has the money to afford an attorney for this action? Debt accusation $600 vs cost of attorney?[/quote:3v34cfid]
    Couldn't you include the legal fees in the suit?

20. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

Just open another bank account with a different account #. Wouldn't' that help bypass these problems?