Black Talon's

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by wsweeks2, Jul 11, 2007.

1. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Is it illegal to have these as your rounds in your carry weapon?

2. tace

tace New Member

I don't think there was ever anything that made them illegal. Just market and media hype.

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

They unsheath their deadly claws and tear flesh . . .

4. Malum Prohibitum

http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs2.htm

5. Malum Prohibitum

6. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

I don't think the rumor that they are armor piercing helped any.

Just wondering since I worked for a Class III dealer back in MD and he bought a stash and I got some in 9mm, .40, and .45 when I had the chance. I used to have one that mushroomed perfectly after shooting into some soaked phone books. Wish I had it to take a picture of it.

That's what I'm currently carrying as well.

7. pro2am

pro2am New Member

I hear Federal HST is quite a nice round as well.

[​IMG]

8. legacy38

legacy38 Well-Known Member

I don't know of any such ammo restrictions in GA. Winchester pulled them for marketing and legal reasons, but if you can find Ranger SXT it is the same stuff.

It is my understanding that New Jersey doesn't allow expanding ammo.

9. tace

tace New Member

Why? They prefer ammo that goes through walls and vests? I guess for Jersey that makes sense. Kind of a crowd control.

10. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

It is my understanding that the Ranger is LEO only.

11. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

I'm not an LEO (yet) and I've been carrying Ranger in my carry weapon for 2 months now.

The key is not the legality of possessing it (anyone can). The key is finding a shop that will sell it to you.

If you really want a box, PM me and next time I'm down in Hinesville at Mission Essential I'll pick up a box. I can meet halfway from wherever (preferably near a range :) ) and exchange it.

12. legacy38

legacy38 Well-Known Member

It's marked that way, but it's not illegal for non-LEO to have. Winchester usually only ships it to cop shops though, but it can be found with a little looking.

13. Rhodes

Rhodes New Member

The Talons just got bad publicity because a couple of crazies used them in shootings and the press took it from there. If you want Ranger SXTs try Classic in Chicamauga, Ga. They usually have some in and they have good prices on ammo and guns.

14. hall911guy

hall911guy Guest

Absolutely not! I've been carrying 180gr .40cal Ranger-Ts for four years now. There is no (Georgia) state or federal law that restricts civilian use of ammunition that is marked "Law Enforcement Only."

15. hall911guy

hall911guy Guest

Excatly nvsble, the "Drive-by Media" put it out that the black coating on the Talons was "teflon armor piercing" and that was the end of it.

You can tell I'm a "Ditto-head," can't you, with the "Drive-by Media" reference?

16. Rhodes

Rhodes New Member

Just wait until someone goes on a rampage with those evil looking Hornady TAPs.

17. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

I can get some Rangers if I want them. I have a box of US Treasury Department 38 +P+ controlled expansion JHP's I got from a Secret Service Agent I'm friends with - talk about a kick. Not bad for a little 38.

18. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

I personally like the hydroschock hollowpoints I use in my .45

19. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

I have some Winchester Western Division ammo for .38 special.

It says on the box "Super X High Velocity 150 Gr Metal Piercing Cartridges"

The muzzle velocity stated on the box is 1065 ft/sec and 377 ft lbs of energy.

I am not sure what year these were made, but it is a box of 50 cartridges with a price of $5.73 written on it.

20. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

You can get regular Winchester SXT's those are about the same as Black Talons. I carry them in my .38.

They aren't really "evil" or anything... they are just really sharp and tend to cut through gloves and such when the ME is doing an autopsy and digging out the bullet. Not good with a lot of perps having diseases. There are rounds that expand a lot better and do more damage. They were just dumb enough to call it something that sounds really bad and has the above mentioned criteria.

These guys have much better ammo.

http://www.extremeshockusa.com/