Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was asked by a friend how much this thing was worth. It is a Connecticut Valley Arms inc, 50 caliber black powder shotgun in "fair" condition. It has the seal of the Navy on it. I really have no other info, I don't know anything about it other than the owner is in a bad financial situation and is considering taking it to pawn. If any of you guys know anything about these to know the value or even a window of value, it would be appreciated. If I were near them, I would at least go snap a picture, but I am not.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
From some searching and questions... I have found that the plate looks like the picture below.

It is wood stocked not synthetic

It is old enough to not have a serial number.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I don't know when they started serializing their guns but black powder is not considered a firearm by the ATF so it did not fall under the 64' GCA. You may be better served by calling CVA to get a better idea of what you have and when it was made.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,108 Posts
I doubt that any "modern" (last 50 years' production) CVA blackpowder shotgun is going to have collector's value.
As a shooter, it should be worth about what a modern cartridge-using single-barrel break-open shotgun with an exposed hammer would.
Maybe $100? $150?

Here's a double barrel side by side from CVS that just sold at auction for $150.
www.icollector.com/Spanish-made-CVA-SxS ... a_i9480487

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you very much for the help. As I said, I have no clue about black powder weapons when it comes to what they are worth, etc... I will pass along the info.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts