Black Powder Rifles

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Adam5, May 11, 2007.

1. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Who is knowledgable about black powder rifles? I'm thinking about what to get next for my collection. I don't have a black powder rifle or a shottie, and I'm thinking that A black powder rifle will be next. I know nothing about them, but have always wanted one. I would appreciate any advice or suggestions that I can get. I probably won't be buying for a few months since I just bought a Saiga AK on Sat, so I have time to research it.

2. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

What do you want to know? Are you more interested in traditional rifles(flink or sidelock) or modern (inlines)? Will you use it for hunting or just target shooting? I can tell just about anyting you want to know about black powder guns or shotguns, just give me something to go on... :lol:

3. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I have no idea yet. I'm thinking modern for target shooting. Theres just something about them that interests me.

Edited to add: The only black powder experience is my dad's 1" smooth bore cannon. 6" dynamite fuse, 2 table spoons of FFF down the bore, ball & packing, set it back down, light the fuse and BOOM !! 4th of July and New Years, we insert fuse, drop in the powder, stuff the barrel with newspaper and fire it off in the front yard.

4. ber950

ber950 Active Member

I was going to bring my inline to the shoot on 6/16. You can check it out.

I think CVA has the biggest bang for the buck.

http://www.cva.com

5. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Cool thanks !!!

6. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

Ive got a CVA i might bring it as well.....its fun but also a pain...all the cleaning etc.... i have mine to hunt with in forsyth below Hwy 20

Its sommething differnt to shoot and the price of them have come down a lot...you can still spend big money on a TC some of the higher end ones.

7. USMC - Retired

Well since the two of you are bringing your CVAs I can leave mine at home so I don't have to clean it! \:D/

8. ber950

ber950 Active Member

If its a sidelock you need to bring it. I don't have one of those. I figured we would warm some water on the grill and clean them on the spot. Better yet we can let Adam5 clean them. He is the one that wants to learn about black powder.

9. USMC - Retired

It's a scoped Firebolt. It uses a 209 shotgun primer to light two 50 grain triple seven pellets pushing a 245 grain Powerbelt bullet. Deadly accurate out to three hundred yards!

10. ber950

ber950 Active Member

It's a scoped Firebolt. It uses a 209 shotgun primer to light two 50 grain triple seven pellets pushing a 245 grain Powerbelt bullet. Deadly accurate out to three hundred yards![/quote:3guublp9]

209 primers and inline actions are the ticket for black powder rifles. I have not scoped mine yet, but now that its legal for the primative hunts I will when the money comes along. I haven't shot triple 7 yet. Still shooting up my pryrodex pellets. I like the powerbelts, but I picked up some sabots cheap to shoot at the range.

11. Mafuta54

Mafuta54 Active Member

I have a CVA Bobcat .50 using Musket caps and .490 round balls for about 12 years now!!

I also have a replica of the Colt 1860 Army .44.