Birthday Present

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by DrGlock, Jan 20, 2007.

  1. DrGlock

    DrGlock New Member

    Hello to ya'll,

    Question: Id like to buy my son an Rx4 storm when they hit the market and ship it to him as a surprise.
    He lives in New York, and he tells me you don't need a permit for long guns.
    Is it illegal for me to ship him this present?

    Also, for any of you Px4 Storm fans, the Beretta site shows them coming out in 45ACP (at 10 rounds instead of the 14 round 40 S&W, is it worth the trade?) and also a compact Px4!

    If anyone knows of the Rx4 already being on the market, please let me know and if you know of a price please let me know that too so I can prepare my wife for the hit!!! [-(

    I love my son and as any father would know he needs this gun! :minigun:
  2. Foul

    Foul Guest

    Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I believe it would have to be shipped and received via an 01 FFL licensed individual such as a gun shop or possibly even a pawn shop.
    In a state as anti gun as NY, it probably wouldn't be cheap.

    I could be wrong.

  3. Malum Prohibitum

    Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

    You really need to contact some of the New York gun organizations, as they would be more familiar with the quirky laws there.
  4. gunsmoker

    gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

    Long Gun in NY

    The first question is, does this firearm qualify as an "assault weapon" under New York state law? If so, it cannot be transferred to a private individual in the state, period, since it was not already in NYS and "Grandfathered-in" under the assault weapon ban.

    If it's considered to be a regular sporting rifle, and you live in NYS outside of NYC and its suburbs, and you don't live in any ultra-liberal enclave that has special laws on rifles, then ownership should be no problem, once the gun gets to NYS legally. There is no "permit" required to own a rifle, and they are not "registered" when sold or traded between individuals intrastate.

    Like MP suggested, you'd need to research NYS law or ask somebody already familiar with the law, and the characteristics of this particular long gun, for your answer.

    Second question: Do you live in some town or village that has its own restriction on such guns?

    My Experience: A New York State FFL dealer will charge you $50 for a gun to be sent to them and then "transferred" to the person you want to give the gun to. Some of them will insist that the gun be shipped from an FFL dealer in your state, too (though I don't think this is a legal requirement, only their store policy). So figure on $25 - $50 on your end to have the gun sent to New York. These prices are higher than what it would take to send a gun into a more gun-friendly state.