Binary trigger

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Malum Prohibitum, Oct 6, 2016.

1. GAfirearmsReference

GAfirearmsReference Weapons Law Booklet

Plus, let's consider that binary triggers, used with or without a bump firing technique by the shooter, don't really let a semi-auto shoot as fast, while being nearly as accurate and well-controlled, as bumpfire or slidefire stocks do. A binary trigger can double your normal semi-auto rate of fire, but that's only going from maybe 3 shots per second up to 6 shots per second. Six bangs per second is 360 rounds/ minute, and that is not a full-auto rate of fire. It's more like what you'd get from an 1870's era Gatling gun, manually cranked.

No mass killer in recent memory has used a binary trigger, although other trigger manipulation devices have been used (1993, San Francisco was the last time I can recall-- he had HellFire trigger devices on his Tec-9 assault pistols).

The public isn't calling for restrictions on trigger cranks, Hellfires, or other gimmicky, less-effective ways of making semi-autos shoot faster. The public isn't calling for a ban on bump-firing as a technique, or do the American people want to ban semi-autos or reinstate the 10-round magazine limit we had with the 1994-2004 Assault Weapon Ban. Instead, the public wants to ban bumpfire stocks, slidefire stocks. Stocks. That's what the public is demanding be thrown under the bus, and they are going to be thrown under.

2. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Where is a "normal semi-auto rate of fire" defined? The SAAMI website? NSSF website? ATF website? Jerry Miculek's website? Breitbart.com? There's no such thing.

3. moe mensale

The public is woefully ignorant that bump firing can be accomplished with no add-on components. What is going to happen when they discover this? Will the act of non-assisted bump firing become illegal?

They are being driven to that agenda via the hysteria of our politicians. Diane Feinstein anyone?

4. moe mensale

Then why is this ruling using the largest net the ATF can use to ensnare everything that isn't a bump stock? Because maybe bump stocks aren't the eventual target?

Mrs_Esterhouse likes this.
  5. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

The DOJ document is smoke and mirrors to justify whatever outcome they wish. Words do not have meaning (2A, 5A, Commerce Clause, HB60). We have an unelected, unaccountable federal agency performing the duties of Congress—making law—under the direction of the executive branch. So, to that, I say we live in a post constitutional America where policy is decided based on how loud the mob cries.

The highest court in the land, which is supposed to act as a hedge against congressional overreach, rules based on societal norms and populism.

Apparently, the National Firearms Act is constitutional because machinguns don't pass the "startling" test.

Rep Massie could not have stated better what is taking place with regard to bumpstocks and the forthcoming bureaucratic edict via the President.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    TimBob likes this.
  6. xd45packer

xd45packer Member

That doesn't even accurately describe how a bumpstock/slidefire works, unless one were to clip something solid over the front that latched in place with the first trigger pull and just made it run until the magazine was empty.

7. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

You guys don't get it. They are going to do whatever they want. The mechanics of the guns and the triggers do not matter. What the law says does not matter. 80% of Americans do not understand the physics of bumpfire nor do they care. That ignorance provides ample cover for politicians to do whatever they like, that and the NRA's blessing.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    Phil1979 likes this.
  8. rle737ng

rle737ng Member

Yep, we now live in a post Constitutional America. We lost the Republic a long time ago.

blind_shake and Phil1979 like this.
  9. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

This is correct. We can discuss the validity of specific arguments all we want, but it won’t change any outcome in the end.

Phil1979 likes this.
  10. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I got to shoot an AR today with a Franklin Arms binary trigger unit. I did two mag dumps (or attempted to.. the weapon failed-to-feed a few times, perhaps due to cheap Wolf lacquor coated ammo or the cheap mags I used for the first time in that particular gun.)

But when it was rocking and rolling, my cyclic rate was probably 600 rounds per minute, and it was controllable enough to keep a basketball-sized group on the chest of a man shaped target at 7 yards, popping off 20+ rounds before a malfunction stopped me from finishing the magazine.

I think such a trigger system is good for CQB / home defense, at close distances.
    Of course you can flip the selector switch to normal semi-auto operation and get just one shot per pull, and no shot upon release of the trigger. I did that too, and got some decently tight groups at 100 yds.

blind_shake likes this.
  11. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

12. mrhutch

mrhutch Well-Known Member

I have a Franklin arms binary trigger on an AR9 pistol. It's amazingly fun, definitely want another one for a 5.56 build eventually.

ICP_Juggalo likes this.
  13. moe mensale

Do you know what gen the BFS was? And what was the host weapon?

14. Siege

Siege Active Member

And yet, still not much faster than Jerry Miculek's trigger finger :D

If my math is right, that's 437 RPM out of a 9mm 1911. Granted, it's a race-gun, but still...

And mein g*tt, what he does with one of these things!

Yow! Six rounds on target in 0.69! 521 RPM with a Mossberg trigger...

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  15. moe mensale

None of us can have Jerry Miculek's trigger finger but we can all have a binary firing device. :righton:

Savannah Dan likes this.
  16. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

His daughter seems to have acquired one just like it though.

17. moe mensale

Then she probably doesn't need a binary trigger!

18. blind_shake

blind_shake Well-Known Member

My fostech ARII Gen2 trigger was modified with a lighter spring which gives it a lighter pull but keeps the heavier reset. It makes shooting binary faster and more controllable. In short bursts I can sustain over 600 rounds per minutes easily. People are coming out with new mods that make these triggers a lot more fun and purposeful. Not just for range fun.

19. moe mensale

Anybody still intrigued and interested in binary triggers? Really want to get one (or three) but don't want to spend $350-$500 new or take a chance with a used unit? Franklin Armory and Fostech now have some competition. ITF Defense. His version is a bit different than the two big names but the end result is the same. Read the ar15.com thread below for the technical specifics. There's also a link to his website. The best part is the price. About half of the Franklin and Fostech units. The owner answered some specific questions I had and I'm seriously looking at getting a few of these.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/ITF-Defense-Binary-Trigger/118-756746/

20. Scout706

Scout706 Well-Known Member

Interested, but intimidated by the thought of installing. Built a lower once. Not anxious to install a trigger group again.