Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not bought a vehicle in GA yet and was wondering about the Bill of Sale requirements. I am looking for an older truck to use as a work truck for some home renovation projects. It will be a 60s-70s truck for sure. I thought I read somewhere that any vehicle older than 1986? does not need a title and a bill of sale will suffice for the DMV to get my tags in order. I have since not been able to find any information pertaining to this. Just that some vehicles are exempt from requiring a Title.

Any help on this will be appreciated.

Thank you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont speak Legalese too well but I am simply wanting to know if a 60-79 vehicle would be exempt from needing a title to be registered as a working driving vehicle in this state.

I know I need the bill of sale, proof of insurance, and a VIN inspection as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,868 Posts
I do not work for the State Revenue Dept or DMV, but yes, I believe it will be exempt from a mandatory title. The State does not issue titles for vehicles 1962 or older. If it is a 1963 - 1985 vehicle, you can get a title if you would like to. 1986 and newer, titles are mandatory.

All of the info you seek (and more) can be found here

Hope this helps......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the link. They address this issue directly there however, when I click on "Title Information" and then on "Is a Georgia Title Required for my Vehicle?" and then "Titles Required" it says this:

1) 1986 & newer year model motor vehicles
2) 1986 & newer travel trailers
3) 1986 & newer car/tow dollies weighing 2,001 lbs. or more
4) 1986 & newer motorcycles
5) 1986 & newer campers
6) 1963 & newer mobile homes
7) 1963 & newer manufactured homes
and then if I click on "Titles not Required" is says this:

1) 1962 & older year model vehicles
2) Agricultural, horticultural or livestock raising equipment or vehicles not required to be registered.
3) Airplanes, aircraft
4) All terrain & off-road vehicles
5) Boat trailers
6) Boats, watercraft
7) Buses owned & operated by an urban transit system
8) Cable cars & trolleys
9) Cranes
10) Driver education vehicles used in public or private schools
11) Fifth wheels
12) Homemade car/tow dollies
13) Homemade trailers
14) Invalid tricycles
15) Mopeds
16) Nonresidents' vehicles (vehicles owned by people that do not have a Georgia address)
17) Pole trailers
18) Self-propelled wheelchairs
19) Tow dollies (car) weighing 2,000 lbs. or less
20) Trailers weighing 2,000 lbs. or less
21) Vehicles not manufactured for highway use.
It appears to have left out 1963-1985 motor vehicles entirely. There must be some information being left out and/or a typo somewhere.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,352 Posts
If you buy any vehicle that old that does not require a title , you MUST have a bill of sale ..Reason being is to tag it you will have to have an OFFICER to fill out a form that runs the VIN to make sure it isn't stolen .You take the bill of sale and this form to get a tag .

WATCH out though , My uncle got real hurt after buying a 69 camaro for 12,000.00 and after he bought it and even tagged it and drove this on the street for about 5 years . He had the Sheriffs knocking on his door and to come to find out this car was stolen from Florida , due to the GA and Florida DMV isn't connected at this time he was still able to get a tag and drive it for 5 years . After a long and stressful time he was able to prove his innocents and lost the car and 12,000.00 plus another 9k he put into this car .

SAD!!!!


His lesson learned on this , not to buy a OUT of STATE vehicle !!

I also learned from this and a few others.
 

·
Yukon Cornelius
Joined
·
11,740 Posts
SongDogSniper said:
I do not work for the State Revenue Dept or DMV, but yes, I believe it will be exempt from a mandatory title. The State does not issue titles for vehicles 1962 or older. If it is a 1963 - 1985 vehicle, you can get a title if you would like to. 1986 and newer, titles are mandatory.

All of the info you seek (and more) can be found here

Hope this helps......
once the title chain is broken in GA they wont issue a title...youcan go thru places like broadway title sservices in maine(iirc) and they will send you the paper work from maine to get a title here(basically you "sell it to them" and they sell it back with a title application)
 

·
Opinion Taken Elsewhere.
Joined
·
5,198 Posts
JMan said:
If you buy any vehicle that old that does not require a title , you MUST have a bill of sale ..Reason being is to tag it you will have to have an OFFICER to fill out a form that runs the VIN to make sure it isn't stolen .You take the bill of sale and this form to get a tag .
Did this by choice on a bike once but it is not a requirement. I have bought an sold lots of 85 an older cars an trucks an have never had to involve an officer to get a tag.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,854 Posts
I purchased a 1964 car from out of state with no title. I had the T-22b form (law enforcement certification of VIN) completed and registered it in Georgia.

(1) As previously stated, Georgia will not issue a title once chain of title has been broken.
(2) Bonded title companies (such as Broadway) will not issue title bonds for pre-1983 vehicles.

None of that interferes with the lawful registration or operation of a pre-1986 vehicle. However, should you need to sell it to someone in a "title required" state, you are out of luck.

I actually would love to title this car, so if someone knows how to do it, please let me know!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,352 Posts
RebelCowboySnB said:
JMan said:
If you buy any vehicle that old that does not require a title , you MUST have a bill of sale ..Reason being is to tag it you will have to have an OFFICER to fill out a form that runs the VIN to make sure it isn't stolen .You take the bill of sale and this form to get a tag .
Did this by choice on a bike once but it is not a requirement. I have bought an sold lots of 85 an older cars an trucks an have never had to involve an officer to get a tag.
Anything in GA without a title that old MUST have a Officer to fill out the form , in order to get a tag and in your name .... You must don't live in GA

I have and do this all the time
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,352 Posts
I think the form is T-22B
 

·
Opinion Taken Elsewhere.
Joined
·
5,198 Posts
JMan said:
RebelCowboySnB said:
JMan said:
If you buy any vehicle that old that does not require a title , you MUST have a bill of sale ..Reason being is to tag it you will have to have an OFFICER to fill out a form that runs the VIN to make sure it isn't stolen .You take the bill of sale and this form to get a tag .
Did this by choice on a bike once but it is not a requirement. I have bought an sold lots of 85 an older cars an trucks an have never had to involve an officer to get a tag.
Anything in GA without a title that old MUST have a Officer to fill out the form , in order to get a tag and in your name .... You must don't live in GA

I have and do this all the time
Never lived anywhere but Ga an have only tagged 2 cars newer than 1986. At least 1 a year for the last 15 or so years that was older than 1986. Most bough from out of state. I have never had to do that in my life. A bill of sell is all I have ever needed. Many were wrote on notebook paper by hand. Ga takes anything signed, dated an with VIN.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The sellers I have talked with are all up front about it being a Bill of Sale deal. All have been in GA also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I have not bought a vehicle in GA yet and was wondering about the Bill of Sale requirements. I am looking for an older truck to use as a work truck for some home renovation projects. It will be a 60s-70s truck for sure. I thought I read somewhere that any vehicle older than 1986? does not need a title and a bill of sale will suffice for the DMV to get my tags in order. I have since not been able to find any information pertaining to this. Just that some vehicles are exempt from requiring a Title.

Any help on this will be appreciated.

Thank you.
Older than 1986 no title required in Ga.
 

·
Man of Myth and Legend
Joined
·
14,218 Posts
Look at the picture. First model of a new terminator? Refinement scheduled?

Nemo
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top