Bike Obscures Car Tag

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Phil1979, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

When carrying my bike on my car, it obscures the tag. Is is legal to permanently mount the tag below its regular spot and just have it on the bumper? Or, could I just buy a duplicate tag and attach it to the bike rack?

How do y'all handle this? Lately, I've just securely taped the tag on the bumper when carrying the bike, then afterward put it back in its normal spot.

2. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

iirc as long as its viewable directly behind and lit when dark you're gtg

3. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I've never worried about it, and never gotten pulled-over or a ticket.
    But I suppose it could happen.
    I figure the hassle of repositioning my license plate outweighs the risk of some hard-line ticket-happy cop making a case out of it.

4. Suburbbus

Suburbbus Well-Known Member

I doubt that you would get pulled over just for that. I have a bike rack that fits in my trailer hitch and when I put two or more bikes on it, you can't hardly even see the bottom half of the back of my suburban. Gone thru customs at Canadian border many times and never had a problem anywhere along route or here at home.

5. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

But, could it happen? Pretty sure it could; I was stopped once back in the 80's because my car because the county sticker was not visible on my car (it came off in a pressure wash :( ). I didn't get a ticket because I was on my way to my next duty station and the tag was going to be invalid overseas anyway.

6. Suburbbus

Suburbbus Well-Known Member

I agree, it always could happen. Just relating years of personal experience of carrying bikes in the same situation with never a problem.

7. JMan

JMan New Member

Correct but you never had that one cop that has nothing else better to do . But the law is the law so do as you please. I went ahead and bought a roof rack .

8. SongDogSniper

SongDogSniper New Member

Don't count on not getting pulled over for:

- obscured tag
    - no tag light
    - non-functioning tail or brake light
    - non-functioning headlight

Won't necessarily get cited for this, but it's a great reason to stop and chat, and make sure everything else is in order.

9. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

Hmmm, I've had experience with being pulled over for the first two of those already. The first by GSP and the second by either Kennesaw or Cobb county. For the tag light, the officer wasn't happy when the encounter was over and I personally inspected the tag light and found it working perfectly while he watched.